Shanty group The Salts to play at Combe Martin’s Shammick Acoustic
- Credit: Archant
If joining in with a good lively shanty is your thing, then you should get along to Shammick Acoustic at the Pack o’ Cards in Combe Martin on Saturday, February 22, when shanty and maritime song group, The Salts, will be performing.
This five-piece band perform shanties and sea songs, but not in quite the way we're used to hearing.
They are all seasoned musicians who produce a unique sound, described by Mike Harding as 'rather like a Bellowhead reduction - more subtle, but just like a jus is reduced, they bring forward the essence of the key ingredients'.
The band members' backgrounds vary from classical music training, the BBC's Young Folk competition, blues, and other music genres, individually they have worked with a variety of well-known musicians.
They are multi-instrumental, with mandolin, whistle, banjo, guitar, double bass - and usually drums.
You may also want to watch:
What's more, the playing is truly accomplished, with superbly arranged vocal harmonies.
With support from local performers Martyn Babb, Pete Beer and Jenny Newburn, and Carole Henderson-Begg, the gig starts at 8pm.
Discounted tickets in advance from www.wegottickets.com/ShammickAcoustic, or from Pets' Pantry, High Street, or the Pack o' Cards, at the door if available, or call 01271 882366.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon