Shanty group The Salts to play at Combe Martin’s Shammick Acoustic
- Credit: Archant
If joining in with a good lively shanty is your thing, then you should get along to Shammick Acoustic at the Pack o’ Cards in Combe Martin on Saturday, February 22, when shanty and maritime song group, The Salts, will be performing.
This five-piece band perform shanties and sea songs, but not in quite the way we're used to hearing.
They are all seasoned musicians who produce a unique sound, described by Mike Harding as 'rather like a Bellowhead reduction - more subtle, but just like a jus is reduced, they bring forward the essence of the key ingredients'.
The band members' backgrounds vary from classical music training, the BBC's Young Folk competition, blues, and other music genres, individually they have worked with a variety of well-known musicians.
They are multi-instrumental, with mandolin, whistle, banjo, guitar, double bass - and usually drums.
You may also want to watch:
What's more, the playing is truly accomplished, with superbly arranged vocal harmonies.
With support from local performers Martyn Babb, Pete Beer and Jenny Newburn, and Carole Henderson-Begg, the gig starts at 8pm.
Discounted tickets in advance from www.wegottickets.com/ShammickAcoustic, or from Pets' Pantry, High Street, or the Pack o' Cards, at the door if available, or call 01271 882366.
- 1 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 5 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
- 9 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?