First ever virtual art exhibition at Braunton's new Studio KIND.
- Credit: Studio KIND.
Braunton’s newest gallery and art space has adapted to lockdown with the launch of first virtual exhibition.
Studio KIND. at Velator is now hosting Cathedral, a solo exhibition by local painter Peter Stiles, featuring plenty of bright colours, awkward shapes, geometric footballers and blue skies.
The new artist-led contemporary art gallery and project space aims to showcase local artists alongside cutting-edge art from around the country.
After being opened in December by Braunton-based artists Laura Porter and Richard Gregory, Studio KIND. instantly had to adapt to the pandemic.
That meant hosting virtual exhibitions, using impressive 360 virtual scan technology, allowing viewers you to experience art from home via its their website.
You may also want to watch:
The first of these, Cathedral, runs until March 6 and showcases more than 20 never-seen-before works created by Peter Stiles during 2020.
After graduating from the Slade School of Fine Art (now part of University College London), Peter began to paint the North Devon landscape and has continued to do so to this day.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
His work is constructed using the layers of memory that have accrued around the places that he has painted so often.
While much of his work is to do with a small section of North Devon’s coastline, he also paints people, recently he began a series of paintings about football which have enabled him to tell stories.
These stemmed from the memory of how, as a small boy, he was torn between loyalty to his local team and supporting a bigger more glamorous club.
He composes his pictures in order to convey emotion and a sense of grandeur and space.
Studio KIND. aims to promote the local contemporary arts scene as well as showcase art from around the UK.
Set up as a community interest company, it is aiming to present the work of local and national, early-career and established artists through an ambitious and diverse programme of exhibitions and events, curated to excite imaginations, challenge perceptions and create connections.
You can view the Cathedral exhibition by Peter Stiles online now at https://www.studiokind.org.uk.