Top folk duo Ninebarrow at The Plough in Torrington
- Credit: Jo Elkington
Ninebarrow, widely recognised as one of the finest duos in UK folk music, are touring as a five-piece band for the first time and coming to The Plough Arts Centre in Great Torrington on Friday, March 27.
Dorset duo of Jon Whitley and Jay LaBouchadiere were BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards nominees for best emerging artist in 2017.
They are named after Nine Barrow Down in the Purbeck hills, have carved themselves a distinctive niche on the folk roots scene with their outstanding harmonies, delicate instrumentation and captivating narrative songs.
Many of the songs are inspired by Britain's rich landscape and history, especially that of their native Dorset.
They decided to embark on a band tour after a successful one-off concert as a five piece last autumn.
You may also want to watch:
Jon and Jay will welcome cellist and long-term collaborator, Lee MacKenzie, brilliant double bassist John Parker and in-demand Evan Carson on percussion.
The set will include brand new songs alongside lush, layered, full-bodied arrangements of some old favourites.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 7 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 8 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 9 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
For tickets call 01805 624624.