Top folk duo Ninebarrow at The Plough in Torrington
- Credit: Jo Elkington
Ninebarrow, widely recognised as one of the finest duos in UK folk music, are touring as a five-piece band for the first time and coming to The Plough Arts Centre in Great Torrington on Friday, March 27.
Dorset duo of Jon Whitley and Jay LaBouchadiere were BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards nominees for best emerging artist in 2017.
They are named after Nine Barrow Down in the Purbeck hills, have carved themselves a distinctive niche on the folk roots scene with their outstanding harmonies, delicate instrumentation and captivating narrative songs.
Many of the songs are inspired by Britain's rich landscape and history, especially that of their native Dorset.
They decided to embark on a band tour after a successful one-off concert as a five piece last autumn.
You may also want to watch:
Jon and Jay will welcome cellist and long-term collaborator, Lee MacKenzie, brilliant double bassist John Parker and in-demand Evan Carson on percussion.
The set will include brand new songs alongside lush, layered, full-bodied arrangements of some old favourites.
- 1 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 5 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 9 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
For tickets call 01805 624624.