Plenty to please the ears in this week’s North Devon Gig Guide: 23/11/11 to 29/11
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 23
● THE TAVERN, BARNSTAPLE: Karaoke, 9.30pm.
● COACH & HORSES, APPLEDORE: Folk jam.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco/quiz.
● PORTOBELLO, BIDEFORD: Karaoke by demand.
● QUIGLEY’S, BIDEFORD: Sod ’em & Sing Karaoke.
● PORTOBELLO INN, BIDEFORD: Open Mic.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BID: Bideford Folk Club 8pm.
● ROYAL GEORGE, APPLEDORE: Acoustic, 8.30pm.
● COOK ISLAND, MULLACOTT, ILFRACOMBE: Open Mike Night with The Average Blues Band from 8pm.
● THE CHILL BAR @ONEFYFIVE, ILFRACOMBE: Plugged Open Mic with US The Band from 8.45pm.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco 8pm-late.
● THE CEDARS, BARNSTAPLE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Club, with DJ Midnight Shift, 7.30pm-late. 07899 701498.
● THE TIVERTON INN, SOUTH MOLTON: Open Mic Night with singer songwriter Sam Dowden. 8.30pm.
● CREALOCK ARMS, LITTLEHAM: Open Mic Night hosted by Shirley from 8pm.
● PALLADIUM CLUB, BIDEFORD: The totally danceable live sound of iFunk returns to the Pally. Expect covers of the likes of Gnarls Barkley and Beyonce through to Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin. 9pm, £3 entry.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BIDEFORD: Brace yourself for The Dodgy Jammers Collective — or put another way, the Joiner’s Sunday afternoon crowd with a few extra for good measure. Join Baz Bix and friends plus a bunch of local musicians for new songs, new faces and a night not to be missed, from 9pm.
● PORTOBELLO INN, BIDEFORD: Karaoke.
● FIRST IN, LAST OUT, BIDEFORD: Karaoke.
● THE SEAGATE HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Ian Hudson & Friends get together for music.
● PIG-ON-THE-HILL, WESTWARD HO: A real mixed bag of live rock and pop tracks from Secondnature, plus their own stuff too. A well received band. 9-11pm.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco 8pm.
● THE CORK & BOTTLE, BARNSTAPLE: Sod ‘em & Sing Karaoke is back in the saddle again.
● LILICO’S, BARNSTAPLE: Live music with FEENIX from 9-11.30pm.
● WHITE HORSE, BARNSTAPLE: The venue in Boutport Street is presenting a healthy dose of live entertainment in the coming weeks, starting with rock ‘n’ roll/country Devon tonight at 8.30pm
● MARINERS ARMS, BRAUNTON: Lively rock, indie and punk pop four-piece covers band Wasteland at the venue from 9.30pm.
● THE THATCH. CROYDE: Singer songwriter Ellie Campbell might be young but she has been singing and playing guitar for a long time and it shows in her polished performances.
● THE SHIP AGROUND, MORTEHOE: The Ships’ popular Open Mic Night returns from 8.30pm.
● BUDDY’S BAR, ILFRACOMBE: The venue at 106 High Street has live music with party-time reggae inspired band Zamba from 10pm.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BIDEFORD: Back on Torridgeside with their mixed bag of blues tricks are The Average Blues Band.
● PALLADIUM CLUB, BIDEFORD: Original local indie rock band No Time This Time are well worth a listen. Entry £3 at door.
● PORTOBELLO INN, BIDEFORD: The Porto presents live music courtesy of The Rhythm Junkies from 9pm.
● ANCHOR INN, BIDEFORD: Planit X Karaoke.
● QUIGLEY’S, BIDEFORD: DJs at Fat Freddy’s.
● THE POLLYFIELD CENTRE, BIDEFORD: Atlantic Jive Freestyle. 8pm-midnight, £5 at door. Info 07875 201328.
● THE ROYAL GEORGE, APPLEDORE: Live acoustic music with various local musicians, from 8.30pm.
● SEAGATE HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Live music with Nat Bites.
● THE CORK & BOTTLE, BARNSTAPLE: Join well known local band Gang of Thieves for a night of rock tunes from the past to the present.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco/karaoke.
● WHITE HORSE, BARNSTAPLE: The venue in Boutport Street has more live entertainment with West Country comic Jim Darch from 8.30pm.
● THE RED BARN, WOOLACOMBE: Join the Woolacombe Boardriders Surf Club for its legendary end of year party at the barn. With a “Movember” theme plus live music aplenty from Las Pistolas. A Grande raffle, drinks promotions and plenty of shenanigans will be going on from 7.30pm-1am. Tickets from the barn on (01271) 870264. Raising money for the Chemo Appeal.
● PACK O’ CARDS, COMBE MARTIN: Shammick Acoustic presents Concert Night with the return of highly accomplished folk performer Pete Coe, a welcome visitor and master of the folk craft. He will be running a music workshop during the day. Visit www.shammickacoustic.org.uk for more details.
● THE HUNTERS INN, HEDDON VALLEY: The picturesque pub near Parracombe is hosting a fundraising night to help with the rebuilding of Parracombe School following its devastating fire. From 2pm there will be family and children’s entertainment, followed at 5 with live music from six bands: The Garden Club, Red Kite, The Padawans, Psylum, Rated PG and Country Rose.
● HEAVITREE ARMS, BIDEFORD: Sod ’em & Sing Karaoke.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BIDEFORD: Baz Bix & Friends, folks, blues & jamming from 3-6pm.
● CLINTON ARMS, FRITHELSTOCK: Acoustic jam.
● COACH & HORSES, APPLEDORE: Tony Finney plus guests with a mixed bag of live music from 4-6.30pm.
● THE PLOUGH ARTS CENTRE, TORRINGTON: Award-winning singer-songwriter, Hazel O’Connor is joined by virtuoso saxophonist Clare Hirst and pianist and vocalist Sarah Fisher for some of the greatest songs from the 20th century delivered with passion and fire. 8pm. Tickets from (01805) 624624.
● MARSHALL’S, BARNSTAPLE: The Grumpy Old Men in town for an afternoon gig form approx 3pm.
● WHITE LION, BRAUNTON: Amy Newton’s Open Mic. Join Amy for a night of jamming.
● THATCHED BARN, CROYDE: Open Mic Night, with regulars Ellis Beeton, Kate Kerslake, Glen Dawson Davey & Richard Newberry. 8.30pm start.
● YE OLDE GLOBE, BERRYNARBOR: Open Mic Night with The KnowleBerrys from 9pm. All musicians, singers and audience members welcome.
● INSTOW ARMS, INSTOW: Open Mic Night, 8pm. For info call Mike on 07792 343294.
● FOX & HOUNDS, EGGESFORD: Join the Steve Tucker All Star Jazz Band for a lunchtime gig from 1-3.45pm. Catch the “jazz train” from Barnstaple at 11.10am.
● THE SEAGATE HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Acoustic jam with local favourite Ian Hudson.
● THE ROYAL HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Regular Monday Acoustic Night with Steve “Dambusker” Ruffe plus Tony Finney from 8.30-11pm.
● REFORM INN, PILTON: Open Mic from 9pm.
● CASTLE INN, LANDKEY: Open Mic.
● WREY ARMS, BARNSTAPLE: Open Mic Night.
● THE CYDER PRESSE, WEARE GIFFARD: Steve Ruffe’s acoustic night, 8.30pm.
● THE CHILL BAR @ONEFYFIVE, ILFRACOMBE: Acoustic Open Mic Night from 8.45pm.
● PALLADIUM CLUB, BIDEFORD: Weekly Open Mic Jam Night.