North Devon Gig Guide 16/11/11 to 22/11
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 16
● THE TAVERN, BARNSTAPLE: Karaoke, 9.30pm.
● COACH & HORSES, APPLEDORE: Folk jam.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco/quiz.
● PORTOBELLO, BIDEFORD: Karaoke by demand.
● THE PALLADIUM CLUB, BIDEFORD: It is a case of "Hamster la vista..." for a well known band The Hamsters, making their final appearance at the Pally as part of a farewell tour following 25 years together. Their music is bluesy, rocked-up Americana and they are regarded as the UK’s leading interpreters of Jimi Hendrix & ZZ Top. If you are a fan of this hard-working band, you really should make the effort, because it is likely the last chance you’ll have to see them. Tickets from the club on (01237) 478860 or Solo Records in Barnstaple on (01271) 325274.
● QUIGLEY’S, BIDEFORD: Sod ’em & Sing Karaoke.
● PORTOBELLO INN, BIDEFORD: Open Mic.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BID: Bideford Folk Club with Paul Downes in concert from 8pm.
● ROYAL GEORGE, APPLEDORE: Acoustic, 8.30pm.
● COOK ISLAND, MULLACOTT, ILFRACOMBE: Open Mike Night with The Average Blues Band from 8pm.
● THE CHILL BAR @ONEFYFIVE, ILFRACOMBE: Plugged Open Mic with US The Band from 8.45pm.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco 8pm-late.
● THE CEDARS, BARNSTAPLE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Club, with DJ Midnight Shift, 7.30pm-late. 07899 701498.
● THE TIVERTON INN, SOUTH MOLTON: Open Mic Night with singer songwriter Sam Dowden. 8.30pm.
● THE RED LION HOTEL, CHULMLEIGH: This month’s music night at 8 pm will feature brilliant acoustic guitar players, with jazz and blues from 18-year-old David Jones, classical virtuoso Alex Knight and the award-winning Ben Powell. Tickets £10 or £17.50 inc supper. Info (01769) 580384.
● CREALOCK ARMS, LITTLEHAM: Open Mic Night hosted by Shirley from 8pm.
● BRIDGE INN, HATHERLEIGH: Acoustic blues with Josie Lloyd, 8.30pm.
● PALLADIUM CLUB, BIDEFORD: Backward Scholars + Dirty Colours. Two young rock bands making their mark on the local scene.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BIDEFORD: Acapella folk and sea shanty singers Bunch of Quays alive alive O from 8.30pm as they perform for Children in Need.
● PORTOBELLO INN, BIDEFORD: Karaoke.
● FIRST IN, LAST OUT, BIDEFORD: Karaoke.
● ROBIN’S NEST, BIDEFORD FC: Rockin’ Shoes Rock ‘n’ Roll Club, resident DJ, all welcome.
● ROYAL HOTEL, BIDEFORD: Ten Feet Tall, 8.30pm.
● CREALOCK ARMS, LITTLEHAM: Live music at the venue near Bideford with local rockers Slack Alice.
● THE SEAGATE HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Ian Hudson & Friends get together for music.
● PIG-ON-THE-HILL, WESTWARD HO: Live music with Ophelia, who offer a mixed bag of classic rock, blues and popular tracks from 8.30-11pm.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco 8pm.
● THE CORK & BOTTLE, BARNSTAPLE: Classic rock with guitarist Chris Banderas from 9pm.
● THE THATCH. CROYDE: Solo set of guitar based blues from Sidemouth Bob, aka Robin Courtnadge, lead singer of the Devil Delta Blues Band.
● THE RED BARN, WOOLACOMBE: Small Town Jones - folk acoustic indie sound with Jim Jones and Dave Little (plus at times Will Greeves and Peter Bruntnell!)
● THE PRINCE OF WALES, ILFRACOMBE: The venue in Fore Street continues its trend for live music with Basil’s Blues Band from 9pm.
● THE SANDPIPER, ILFRACOMBE: Children in Need gig with punksters Falling Apart plus rock band Psylum. An evening gig, but fun and games at the pub from 2pm.
● CHITTLEHAMHOLT VILLAGE HALL: Skiffle band The Umberleigh Bovver Boys. Community fun night out plus supper from 7.30pm. All welcome. Tickets/info from (01769) 540242/540842 or 540389.
● LANGTREE VILLAGE HALL: “Electric ceilidh music with guts” from Random, billed as one of the top English ceilidh bands in the country. A melodic folk rock interpretation of tunes to seriously encourage dancing! Caller John Blackburn. 8pm start. Optional bring-and-share supper. Tickets/info from (01237) 476632.
● THE GLOBE, BUDE: Sod ‘em & Sing Karaoke (with passport!) from 8.30pm.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BIDEFORD: Dave Little and Jim Jones live at the Joiners.
● PALLADIUM CLUB, BID: 90s DJ Night.
● ANCHOR INN, BID: Planit X Karaoke.
● QUIGLEY’S, BIDEFORD: DJs at Fat Freddy’s.
● THE ROYAL GEORGE, APPLEDORE: Live acoustic music with various local musicians, from 8.30pm.
● SEAGATE HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Live music with Massive in Albania.
● THE CLINTON ARMS, FRITHELSTOCK: Live sounds with The Bandits from 9pm.
● KELLY’S BAR, BARNSTAPLE: Disco/karaoke.
● THE LAMB, ILFRACOMBE: Rhythm and blues with The Roadhouse Band from 9pm.
● LANDMARK THEATRE PAVILION, ILFRACOMBE: Join the Steve Tucker All Star Jazz Band for Dance Night. Boogie the night away from 8pm & raise money for Children in Need. Tickets (01271) 324242.
● HEAVITREE ARMS, BID: Sod ’em & Sing Karaoke.
● THE JOINERS ARMS, BIDEFORD: Baz Bix & Friends, folks, blues & jamming from 3-6pm.
● CAFE DU PARC, BIDEFORD: Lunchtime jazz with Bideford bassist Dayle Helsby introducing a jazz quartet of special guest and charismatic tenor saxophonist Reed Pimlott plus Martin Greenlee on piano and James Blofeld drums. 1-3pm.
● CLINTON ARMS, FRITHELSTOCK: Acoustic jam.
● COACH & HORSES, APPLEDORE: Tony Finney plus guests with a mixed bag of live music from 4-6.30pm.
● MARSHALL’S, BARNSTAPLE: Plamen, the rock fella... from 3.30-5.30pm.
● CEDARS, ROUNDSWELL: The Barnstaple venue features the popular Cedar’s Big Band in concert from 8pm. Adm free.
● WHITE LION, BRAUNTON: Amy Newton’s Open Mic. Join Amy for a night of jamming.
● THATCHED BARN, CROYDE: Open Mic Night, with regulars Ellis Beeton, Kate Kerslake, Glen Dawson Davey & Richard Newberry. 8.30pm start.
● YE OLDE GLOBE, BERRYNARBOR: Open Mic Night with The KnowleBerrys from 9pm. All musicians, singers and audience members welcome.
● INSTOW ARMS, INSTOW: Open Mic Night, 8pm. For info call Mike on 07792 343294.
● THE SEAGATE HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Acoustic jam with local favourite Ian Hudson.
● THE ROYAL HOTEL, APPLEDORE: Regular Monday Acoustic Night with Steve “Dambusker” Ruffe plus Tony Finney from 8.30-11pm.
● REFORM INN, PILTON: Open Mic from 9pm.
● THE BEAVER INN, APPLEDORE: North Devon Jazz Club presents a tribute gig to American guitarist Emily Remner, featuring Deirdre Cartwright and her band plus Kathy Dyson, Alison Rayner, Winston Clifford and Sarah P. 8.30pm start.
● CASTLE INN, LANDKEY: Open Mic.
● WREY ARMS, BARNSTAPLE: Open Mic Night.
● THE CYDER PRESSE, WEARE GIFFARD: Steve Ruffe’s acoustic night, 8.30pm.
● CARLTON HOTEL, ILFRACOMBE: Terry Charles.
● THE CHILL BAR @ONEFYFIVE, ILFRACOMBE: Acoustic Open Mic Night from 8.45pm.
● PALLADIUM CLUB, BIDEFORD: Weekly Open Mic Jam Night.
● OLD BARN INN, BICKINGTON: Join the Barnstaple Jazz Society for more live New Orleans and Dixieland jazz tunes from 7.30pm. Adm free.