Gareth Gates to star in Footloose at the Queen’s Theatre in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
Star of song and stage Gareth Gates will be coming to North Devon in 2020 with the new UK tour of Footloose the Musical.
The feelgood, all singing, all dancing show comes to the Queen's Theatre in Barnstaple on Monday, May 18, 2020, with Gareth reprising his role as Willard.
Packed with 1980s tracks, the story sees city boy Ren arrives in a rural backwater American town to learn to his horror that dancing and rock 'n' roll are banned.
He takes matters into his own hands and soon has the whole town on its feet.
Gareth Gates shot to fame with the first series of Pop Idol and went on to sell more than five million records - his version of Unchained Melody is the third best selling single of the 'noughties'.
You may also want to watch:
More recently Gareth has enjoyed a successful career on stage, with credits including Les Misérables, Legally Blonde and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.
He said: "I'm thrilled to be back playing the role of Willard in the 2020 UK tour of Footloose.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
"I had so much fun the first time around that I jumped at the chance to play such an exciting role again.
"I was born in 1984, the year Footloose the movie was first released; I used to watch the movie lots as a kid not knowing some years later I'd be playing the 'cowboy that can't dance' on stages up and down the country. I'm a terrible dancer, so it's pretty much life imitating art.
"The show is packed with classic 80s hits and audiences get to see a little more of me than they bargained for. I can't wait to be back on tour with such an incredible show."
Visit www.queenstheatre-barnstaple.com for tickets ticket information or call 01271 316523.