Balloon festival to soar the skies
Tiverton Balloon Festival is back on the weekend on August 24-27.
THE spectacular sight of soaring balloons returns to the region on the August bank holiday weekend with the four-day Tiverton Balloon Festival.
Hot air balloon enthusiasts from across the country will descend on – and ascend from - the joint site of Tiverton High School and the Petroc campus on Bolham Road, organised by South West based Aerosaurus Balloons.
Thousands of people are expected to attend the aerial extravaganza from the afternoon of Friday, August 24 through to the morning on Monday, August 27.
The spectacle of numerous balloons taking to the skies at once is always something to see, but visitors will also be able to view them up-close, join balloon inflation competitions and meet the pilots.
You may also want to watch:
Plus of course there is the opportunity to take a balloon ride over the Devon countryside.
On the Saturday and Sunday evenings is the spectacular ‘Night Glow’ display where balloonists light their burners, inflate the envelopes and transform balloons into giant ‘light bulbs’ for a breathtaking demonstration choreographed to music.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
There will be aerial displays of balloons, kites, model aircraft and helicopters, vintage aircraft and flying displays.
Other attractions include a visit from Exmoor Zoo, an on-site planetarium plus a showcase of Devon food and drink, as well as trade stands with crafts, handiwork, clothing and gifts.
A live music stage will be hosting a ‘mini music festival’ over the weekend, with a variety of local musical and performing artists.
There are opportunities for businesses and traders, groups and volunteers to be involved. For information and tickets, go to www.tivertonballoonfestival.co.uk or call 01404 823735.