Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd...
- Credit: Archant
Murderous musical fun with Barnstaple Operatic Society as the ‘Demon Barber of Fleet Street’ stalks the stage from Wednesday to Saturday, March 12-15.
PREPARE for chilling sights and mesmerising music at the Queens Theatre from Wednesday of next week as Barnstaple Operatic society’s production of Sweeney Todd opens in all its gory glory.
Sweeney Todd - the demon barber of Fleet Street, is Stephen Sondheim’s musical masterpiece and was recently a hit musical film by Tim Burton staring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter.
“Sondheim’s music and this evergreen tale of the murderous barber were given new life by Tim Burton’s film and a recent revival starring Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton,” said director Lee Baxendale.
“It’s a notoriously difficult piece of musical theatre to stage but I think our local cast will give stunning performances.”
You may also want to watch:
Neil Rudd and Debbie Hadley are playing Sweeney and his murderous companion, Mrs Lovett, respectively.
“I’ve had to work very hard on this show, but, I really feel it’s worth it. It’s such an emotional roller coaster for Sweeney,” said Neil.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 4 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
- 8 Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Fresh funds to continue rough sleeper support in North Devon
Lee added: “It’s all coming together really beautifully and although it has a gruesome subject matter it is matched by some beautiful music. We are lucky to have Paul Moulton leading our absolutely stunning orchestra which sounds amazing as it backs our really talented, powerful singers.”
Barnstaple Operatic Society’s production runs from Wednesday, March 12 until Saturday, March 15, with shows at 7.30pm throughout plus a 2.30pm Saturday matinee. For tickets call the box office on 01271 324242.