Stags go top in ‘Combe goal fest

Joseph Bulmer

North Molton thrash bottom side Ilfracombe Town Reserves

NORTH Molton went to the top of the North Devon Gazette League Premier Division with an 8-0 thrashing of bottom side Ilfracombe Town Reserves on Saturday.

Colin Welch scored four and Greg Holland hit three as the Stags topped the table for the first time this season. Ian Wheatley was also on target for Molton, who took advantage of Boca Seniors’ involvement in the Devon Cup.

Combe Martin climbed a couple of places in the table after a good 2-0 win in the rearanged fixture at Bradworthy. At a venue Combe have not fared well at over the years, there was finally a bit of joy when second-half strikes by Pete Varley and Ray Squire tipped the balance and helped rejuvenate the team after several draws and a couple of loses.

Carl Smith equalised for Barnstaple AAC in a 1-1 draw at Torridgeside. Cory Hynd opened the scoring for the hosts after a well-worked team goal and manager Barry Paine was disappointed his side were unable to build on the lead after being denied what he called a “stonewall” penalty when Martin Boundy was brought down by the Ammies keeper in the penalty area.

“We were playing some decent football at that stage and I think if we’d have been awarded the penalty and made it 2-0 we’d have most probably gone on to win the game,” he said.

In the Senior Division, Steve Isaac hit a first-half hat-trick as Barnstaple AAC Reserves cruised to a 7-0 victory at North Molton Reserves,

Mark Sanders and Ryan Palethorpe also scored goals in the first 45 while Sanders and Charles “Balboa” Langdon added to the Stags’ misery in the second period.

Mark Palmer, Rob Murch and Ross Williams gave Chittlehampton a 3-0 lead in the win against bottom side Hartland.

But after missing a hatful of chances, they were given a bit of a scare when Jack Coleman and Hallum Cook pulled goals back for the visitors.

Braunton Reserves beat Shamwickshire Rovers Reserves 3-1 and the game between unbeaten leaders Northam Lions and third-placed Woolsery was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.