Woolacombe’s Lucy Campbell eyes Olympic glory
- Credit: Paul Richards
New sponsorship deal with Korev for Woolacombe’s Lucy Campbell means she can bid to climb the world surfing rankings this year
Woolacombe surfer Lucy Campbell is hoping to reach the 2020 Olympics with help from a certain liquid refreshment.
The 21-year-old is hopeful that a new sponsorship deal with Korev Cornish lager will help her get to more international competitions and climb the world rankings.
Although Lucy originally took part in junior World Surfing League (WSL) competitions when she was 17, she could never get to enough of the events to make a dent on the rankings.
The past year saw her first serious attempt at participating in the adult tour, during which she managed to complete the bare minimum of five events but still finished 13th in Europe and got a solid ranking on the World Qualifying series.
You may also want to watch:
After signing up to the three year deal to become a Korev Ambassador, she said: “Last year was definitely the toughest. Being unseeded I was always competing against the top girls in the contests and having to start from scratch.
“The rank I managed to achieve in 2016 will help this year but most of all the partnership with Korev means I can get to some of the higher scoring competitions in places like Mexico and El Salvador that will really make a difference to my career and my future.”
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 7 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 8 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
With surfing included in the Olympic sports line-up for the first time in 2020, Lucy is aware there is a big job ahead if she is to realise her ambition of targeting a Team GB place: “There are some great girls out there on the tour at the moment.
“2016 saw equal prize money at most events for women so I feel we are really beginning to be taken seriously as athletes and I’m looking forward to the challenges and competition ahead.”
As well as Korev Cornish Lager, Lucy is also sponsored by Olympus Cameras and Newquay based Adams Surfboards.