U14 comp shows girls’ tennis is on the up in North Devon
- Credit: Archant
A series of tennis competitions took place across North Devon throughout Autumn and early Winter – including the first-ever under 14 girls’ event.
The tournaments have taken place at Westward Ho!, Ilfracombe and Tarka Tennis Centre, with the girls’ comp at Westward Ho! Tennis Club, at Caddsdown.
Four home members were involved - Martha Macdonald, Katie Rowe, Molly Watts, and Niamh Ramsay - plus Ruby Davis from Tarka, Rebecca Saunders from South Wales, and Lauren Mcginness from Exmouth.
Rebecca Saunders was the winner, with Lauren Mcginness finishing runner-up. Niamh Ramsay and Ruby Davis were beaten semi-finalists.
Niamh and Katie Rowe, representing Bideford College, also won the girls’ year seven and eight schools competition held at Tarka.
You may also want to watch:
Molly Watts also took part, alongside fellow Ho! player, Gemma Cleave. Martha Macdonald played for West Buckland.
Bideford College was well represented by several Ho! Players in the boys’ competition, too.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
Ben Seaman, Kyle Tubbs, Alfred Staines-Byrt, Nathan Colley, Oliver Hannam and James Seaman all took part.
Ho!’s Andrew Oliver played for Braunton.