BARNSTAPLE made it three wins on the trot in National Three South West when they defeated Old Reds 14-6 at Pottington

Luke Berry scored a decisive second-half try for Barum. It was converted by Josh Squire, who also slotted three penalties.

Kevin Squire, Barum’s director of rugby said: “It was a war of attrition, but we just about did enough to warrant the win. This was a game for the enthusiast and not the purist. Students of how to grind out wins would have enjoyed it. Anyone expecting to see scintillating rugby with the ball going from wing to wing would have been disappointed.

It has taken us a while to learn how to grind out a win at this level of rugby, but after three years we seem to be getting the hang of it at last.”

Squire kicked Barum ahead in the 28th minute with a penalty. Joe Wall replied in kind for Reds three minutes later.

Squire and Wall then swapped kicks in first half stoppage time to leave it 6-6 at the break.

The only try of the game came on 56 minutes when Barum’s Luke Berry dashed over from 30 metres. The conversion failed, but Squire made amends with a penalty soon after.

Barnstaple, fourth in the table, face a tricky date with leaders Bournemouth this Saturday.

SOUTH Molton appear to be in for another long season fighting relegation after going down 24-13 first time out in Devon One to Salcombe.

Two penalties and a drop-goal got the hosts off to a good start, but it was South Molton who got the first try of the game through winger Mike Lee.

The conversion was missed and a drop-goal edged the Crabs further in front at the break.

Salcombe opened the second half with two tries and looked to have made the game safe.

The visitors did respond with a try from skipper Courtney Lucas, taking advantage of a Salcombe handling error to run in a try out wide. The conversion was missed.

Both sides traded penalties, Zak Stoneman landing one for South Molton.

Molton have no league game this Saturday.

A last-minute missed conversion was the difference between victory and defeat for Old Technicians, who went down 9-8 in Devon Two at Ilfracombe.

Techs were behind at the break to two penalties from Combe fly-half Dan Brierly.

They halved the deficit with a penalty of their own from Billy Evans, but Brierly then restored the six-point cushion with another penalty.

With the last play of the game Old Techs went over for a dramatic score in the corner by Gary Quick, but couldn’t land the conversion.

Torrington were hammered 42-0 at Newquay Hornets in the Cornwall & Devon Division. Things can only get better back at Donnacroft this Saturday when Pirates Amateurs are the visitors.