Tarka Ladies make league bow as U11s clinch cup
- Credit: Archant
Big weekend for Instow-based ladies cricket club
Tarka Ladies CC played Plympton in their first ever League match on Sunday.
Although the Instow-based side didn’t win, there were notable performances from Carmen Clements (46 n.o.) and an intriguing finish as her mother Anna Clements went out at 11 and help Tarka bat out their overs.
Daisy Meadowcroft was superb behind the stumps and was relieved by Morgan Harrison Hooton who gave a sterling performance after half time.
Clare Williams – playing her first ever cricket match alongside daughter Kate - took a great catch at mid-wicket, removing Plympton’s county player Olivia Jones just when it looked like she would go on to make a big score.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Lauren Bowden was satisfied with the team’s performance as was coach Mark Overton.
“We could and should have batted better but this has been a good first match against strong opposition,” said manager Jan Witheridge. “We would like to have won but we should celebrate the fact that women in North Devon can now play a good standard of cricket without having to travel for miles.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
The Tarka U11’s had better luck in the morning at Chagford.
They won all of their matches to become Devon Lady Taverner’s U11 softball champions.
Witheridge and Overton were delighted with the girls, who beat a strong team from Paignton in a hard fought game 80 runs to 62.
Tarka also beat Topsham by 69 runs and Chagford by 55 runs on the day.