Sporting Barum triumph in Devon Intermediate Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Barum defeated Whipton and Pinhoe 5-3 in the A&S Paving Intermediate Cup final at Newton Abbot.
Sporting Barum earned their first silverware of the season, winning the A&S Paving Intermediate Cup.
Barum beat Whipton and Pinhoe 5-3 in a frantic final at Newton Abbot last night (Thursday).
After a delayed kick off, it was Barum who struck first with a fine goal from Damian Green, firing the ball into the roof of the net from a difficult angle.
Whipton got back into the game 10 minutes later, finding an equaliser and then taking the lead quick succession thanks to a header from Liam Ward and tidy finish from Max Beecroft.
You may also want to watch:
Their lead lasted just four five minutes before Matt Deakin equalised from the penalty spot.
Barum took their momentum into the second half and quickly stretched their lead.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 5 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 6 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 7 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
Marcus Mahoney put a header into the back of the net two minutes after the restart.
A minute later Stuart Cameron made the score 4-2 to Barum, who looked to have the tie wrapped up.
But a red card for goalkeeper Connor Davies and Beecroft’s ensuing penalty soon put a different perspective on the tie.
But the 10-man Barum battled well and held Whipton at bay before making sure of the result in 90th minute when Matt Mitchell went clear and slipped the ball home to the delight of the travelling fans.