Skinner and co take title by the teeth
- Credit: Archant
Park United steal senior division title with 7-1 win on final day.
PARK United have been crowned champions of the North Devon Gazette Senior Division after a remarkable season run-in saw them take the title by the skin of their teeth.
The Sandymere boys needed maximum points from their two remaining fixtures to outgun rivals Braunton Reserves in the final week of the season.
And after an 8-2 win at Landkey on Wednesday night, Park made certain of victory with a 7-1 win against third-placed Barnstaple FC on Saturday.
Dave Brown and Steve Skinner scored four each against Landkey, while on Saturday, there were two for Skinner and Ricky Marinaro, and one each for Brown, Tom Forrester and Mark Lee.
You may also want to watch:
With the final piece of North Devon Gazette league silverware settled, elsewhere in the league, there was still a handful of fixtures to settle.
In the Premier Division, Barnstaple AAC ended their campaign on Wednesday night with a 9-0 win at Dolton.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 8 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
Craig Sandle scored four and there were doubles for Ed Jenkins and Claudio Pinto. Substitute James Hawkins was also on target for the Ammies, who finished the season fourth on goal difference above Bideford Reserves.
On Saturday, Appledore Reserves consigned Chittlehampton to the bottom of the table with a 4-0 win.
Georgeham & Croyde were unable to field a team in their final game at Dolton.
With Intermediate One all done and dusted, the only football left to play was in Intermediate Two.
Brad Campbell signed off with a hat-trick for North Molton Thirds in a 5-1 win against Hartland Reserves on Wednesday night. Oliver Chalk scored two, while Ryan Tape scored a consolation for Hartland.
On Saturday, Appledore Academy beat Merton Reserves 10-0; Anchor Chiefs Reserves beat Hartland Reserves 5-4; Lynton & Lynmouth Reserves beat Chittlehampton Reserves 5-2.
Promotion and relegation issues will be resolved at the North Devon Gazette Football League AGM on Wednesday, June 25.
A number of teams have contacted the league to ask about registering a team next season.
Bideford AFC Academy, Week St Mary and Hemmens FC have are looking to fill any available slots, while Clovelly and Landkey hope to enter reserve teams.
The meeting will take place at the Robin’s Nest in Bideford at 7pm.