Saunton win the Devon Masters
The Saunton team overcame competition from Croyde, Woolacombe and Bideford Bay to win the Devon Masters Surf Life Saving championships held at Croyde.
Teams of 30-years-plus surf life savers competed in a variety of sea and beach based events, including a sea swim, board race and rescue, ski paddle, sprint and one kilometre run.
A fun atmosphere and great sense of camaraderie and fair play pervaded the day as competitors from the various clubs cheered and applauded each other’s efforts.
Saunton Sands SLSC fielded a strong team of 20 Masters to take first place with 857 points. Croyde were second with 676 and Woolacombe third with 346 points.
This victory follows on from first places for Saunton in the Devon and National Stillwater championships earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
Club members have now started voluntary patrols of Saunton beach on Sundays during the main holiday season.
Winning team members were: Sarah Jones, Kath Patten, Georgina Martin, Jo Howard, Judith Barnes, Helen Dinnage, James Johnson, Darren Pinkney, James Birkley, Simon Durrant, Alan Fraser-Smith, Jonathan Bowen, Richard Nobes , Craig Berry, Pete Purchase, Jeff Priddis, Simon Derges, Richard Connor, Rob Barnes and Bob Bunney.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
The team will now be training for the National championships at Portreath at the end of August.
Anyone interested in joining the Saunton Masters team can go along to beach training sessions at Saunton Sands on Wednesday evenings at 6.30.