Robins’ class shows in convincing derby win
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple 1-4 Bideford
Bideford put in an impressive display on their way to a sixth straight pre-season win over local rivals Barnstaple at Mill Road.
The Robins were clearly well up for the game and started at a frantic pace, racing into a 4-0 half-time lead in a game which threatened to boil over on a number of occasions as tempers flared between the two sets of players.
Bideford play three divisions above Town and the difference in quality was apparent early on when Owen Howe gave the visitors the lead inside of five minutes.
Bideford’s dominance continued throughout the half, and further goals from Rob Farkins, Kevin Squire and another from Howe had the game wrapped up by the break.
You may also want to watch:
Farkins headed home at the back post from a well-worked corner, Squire volleyed home smartly after Barnstaple failed to clear the ball and Howe’s second was a good first time finish after some tricky play and a good cut back from Sean Downing.
Bideford manager Sean Joyce had said ahead of the game that the result was ‘not important’ - but the way his side went about demolishing their noisy neighbours in the first half must have pleased him.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Both teams made several changes in the second half and the game became far more of an even contest, with the home side finally carving out some decent chances of their own.
A quick throw in from Billy Tucker caught the Bideford defence napping and substite Tom Marsh nodded in a rebound to give the home fans something to cheer.
Bideford face another derby this weekend when they entertain Ilfracombe, while Barnstaple will look to bounce back against Appledore before the start of their league seasons.