Pledge a �1 for Town
Goalkeeper launches Facebook appeal to help save ailing Western League club.
A FORMER Barnstaple Town goalkeeper has launched a Faceboook appeal to help safeguard the club where he began his career.
Draper, who plays at Toolstation Western League Premier Division side Willand Rovers, is urging people to pledge ‘A Pound For Town’ in a bid to help the team escape a financial crisis that threatens its survival.
He said: “I started my career at Barnstaple Town as a 14-year-old and as a kid I spent most Saturdays as a ball-boy for the first team.
“My dad built the dressing rooms that stand there now as well as playing for the team himself along with his many brothers.
You may also want to watch:
“I also remember my dad taking me down to Mill Road to watch George Best play and took me in the dressing room to meet him.”
Draper hopes to spread the work of the club’s plight on the social networking site and encourage 500 people to pledge �1 a week.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
“I believe it would be a sad, sad day should the club fold; it would be awful if the town lost its football team .
“Come on people of Barum.....help save your local club.”
To join the campaign, search for ‘A �1 for town’ on Facebook.