Pledge a �1 for Town
Goalkeeper launches Facebook appeal to help save ailing Western League club.
A FORMER Barnstaple Town goalkeeper has launched a Faceboook appeal to help safeguard the club where he began his career.
Draper, who plays at Toolstation Western League Premier Division side Willand Rovers, is urging people to pledge ‘A Pound For Town’ in a bid to help the team escape a financial crisis that threatens its survival.
He said: “I started my career at Barnstaple Town as a 14-year-old and as a kid I spent most Saturdays as a ball-boy for the first team.
“My dad built the dressing rooms that stand there now as well as playing for the team himself along with his many brothers.
You may also want to watch:
“I also remember my dad taking me down to Mill Road to watch George Best play and took me in the dressing room to meet him.”
Draper hopes to spread the work of the club’s plight on the social networking site and encourage 500 people to pledge �1 a week.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 5 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
“I believe it would be a sad, sad day should the club fold; it would be awful if the town lost its football team .
“Come on people of Barum.....help save your local club.”
To join the campaign, search for ‘A �1 for town’ on Facebook.