Barnstaple Amateur Boxing Club’s fighters were in action at Barnstaple Pannier Market on Sunday.

Barnstaple Amateur Boxing club’s fighters enjoyed success on home turf.

Seven Barnstaple fighters were in action at the club’s show at the Pannier Market across the junior and senior classes.

The show at Barnstaple was preceeded by a 10-bell salute for Muhammad Ali, who passed away on Friday.

Harry Sugars, who won the Western Counties Middleweight title at the event last year, was given top billing, fighting Pantside’s Phillip Price.

Sugars came out full of energy, putting his opponent on the back foot instantly and landing shots to the body to keep a good pace.

The two traded blows in the second, with Sugars trying to use movement around the ring to his advantage.

Sugars fitness paid off in the final round, and he was able to land some of his best punches as a result, putting Price on the ropes before the final bell on his way to a split decision win.

Barnstaple also had success over Pantside through Liam Laird, who defeated the Welsh club’s Jake Tinklin.

Laird’s took some time to settle into the bout, but landed some big combinations in the latter half of the round.

He started the second where he left off, but was rebuffed by some clean punches from Tinklin.

Both fighters appeared to tire in the final round, as both fighters exchanged blows, with Laird doing enough for the victory.

Barnstaple’s David Currey fought Tiverton’s Chris Banks in a hugely entertaining contest.

Currey started well, landing some cracking combinations in the early stages.

As the bout developed both fighters opened up, with each of them landing heavy blows.

Banks worked Currey’s head well, to the point where the Barnstaple boxer required some attention, before the two boxers started to tire.

But Currey’s first round performance was ultimately what sealed a split decision win.

Pete McDonald was unable to get going against Priorswood’s Brian Musaruwa, who defeated the Bideford fighter via a technical knockout.

Barnstaple’s junior section had mixed results in the first half of the show’s bill.

Troy Elworthy showed plenty of determination against Joe Robinson of Intense, but lost ground in the final stages of the bout to lose by way of split decision.

Jed Davies displayed some excellent counter-punching and landed some good right hands in his match with Jack Holmes of Wessex.

Holmes landed some big hits to give Davies a standing eight in the second.

A spirited effort from Davies in the third was not enough to reverse the unanimous decision.

Aiden Friendship put in a blistering performance against Owen Underhill of Torbay.

Friendship landed flurries of punches in the first, and continued in the same vain in the second to give a standing eight count to Underhill.

The Barnstaple fighter didn’t ease up going into the third, continuing to land shots to give Underhill another standing eight and earn a technical knockout in an assured display.

Bideford’s Jacob Stevenson was also in action, but lost by a split decision.

Stevenson was on the receiving end in the first round, and was unable to make up the ground in the later stages.