North Devon table tennis championships get under way
- Credit: Archant
The North Devon Table Tennis League Championships commenced on Sunday at the Tarka Tennis Centre.
There were four major competitions: The Handicap Singles, played to a finish; and the Open Singles, Doubles and Vets played to the semi- final stage. They’ll be completed on finals night later in the season.
The Handicap Singles was won by Ernie Maud of THE VICE, who played his handicap to great effect and held his nerve by beating Martin Babulik and Callum Ackland, en route, and then Alisdair Prades, the young Four Racket International, in the final.
The Open Doubles was contested by 10 pairs, and ended up with Vim Faassen and Kevin Taylor going down to Peter Dunstan and Martin Babulik of Smugglers in the first semi- final.
In the second semi- final, Paul Laverty and Alisdair Prades suffered a similar fate at the hands of the other Smugglers duo, Mathew Thomas and Peter Hedge, making the final an all Smugglers affair.
You may also want to watch:
The Open Vets had a good entry with players from all three divisions taking part, but it will be the usual favourites Paul Laverty against Mathew Thomas and Marcus Berry against Kevin Taylor who will compete for final honours.
The Open Singles was also well contested at all levels but the end result was similar to the vets, with Marcus Berry taking on Kevin Taylor and Paul Laverty playing against Martyn Beer.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
The league would like to thank Mathew Thomas for running the event and Marcus, Kevin and all who so ably assisted.