Dan Smith collected a try hat-trick as South Molton piled up the tries after the break to beat Withycombe 69-3 in the Cornwall & Devon Division.

The first half was close with South Molton only leading 10-3 thanks to a George Whiting try and a conversion and penalty from Callum Stone.

Barney Newell scored a solo try at the start of the second half, which Stone, converted to kick-start South Molton into life.

Smith then scored three successive tries, two of which were converted by Stone, to put his side well and truly in command.

New signing Jacob Hawkins, playing flanker, then crossed, before James Campbell, Whiting and Reece Eury also went over, with Stone converting them all.

Molts have no first team game this Saturday.

Torrington lost 21-6 in the Devon One derby clash with North Tawton.

Torrie are away to New Cross this Saturday afternoon in the first round of the Devon Junior Cup. Ilracombe are away to Exeter Athletic in the same competition.

Ilfracombe continued their impressive start to the season, putting in a physical and dogged display to defeat previously unbeaten Exeter Engineers outfit 19-0.

After scoring a hat-full of tries in their first two outings against Bideford and Torrington, Ilfracombe showed they can also do the hard yards up the middle.

They went in to the break just 7-0 up courtesy of prop Billy Morley-Williams powering over from close range and fly-half Dermot Dalton adding the extras.

Two more scores were added in the second half by the forwards, with hooker Adam Wyatt smashing through, before No.8 Jay O’Beirne ran through several would-be tacklers on his way to the line.

Dalton converted O’Beirne’s score to move Combe well out of reach.

Leo Cooper, Ilfracombe’s injury sidelined skipper, said: “It was a very impressive result, because we were missing a number of players and Exeter Engineers are a very decent team.

“The performance was fantastic in parts, although I know the coaches were frustrated we didn’t keep our foot consistently on the gas.

“We are a new side with lots of new players gelling, so to still be undefeated in the league shows how far we’ve come in a short space of time and how much more there is to come.”

Bideford Quins defeated Honiton II 34-19 in a hugely entertaining game at KGV.

Both sides put in a vast number of big tackles in a competitive encounter, although the hosts kept their noses in front following an early try from No.8 Luke Ridler. Sam Olde converted.

Skipper Olde added his own try shortly after and added the extras.

Honiton hit back with a well-worked try before Christian de Banks crossed unopposed from the base of a scrum to take Quins into a 19-7 half-time lead.

Tom Sharman touched down early in the second half to increase the lead with the industrious Tom Evans adding another before Honiton hit back with two tries to reduce the deficit to 29-19.

Scrum-half Matty Grout scored a deserved try after a rolling maul that had all but three of the home side’s players forcing the over-worked visitors’ defence to march backwards.

Kevin Hasted and Dan Bissett put in the hard yards in the pack. Shaun Pett and Charlie Russell were equally prominent in the back line.

Bideford, now ninth in the Merit Table, are at home to Topsham II this Saturday.

South Molton II had an unwanted day off last Saturday as Withycombe were unable to raise a team.

Torrington II return to action after a week off with a home game against Tiverton Athletic.

Alex MacWilliam scored two tries in Bideford Colts’ 33-17 win over Tiverton.

Arthur Souch, Callum Vingoe and Carter Ward were the other try scorers. Isaac Clarke kicked four of the five conversions.

Man of the match was hooker James Gluzman.

“It was an excellent team performance and is showing that training is now paying off,” said coach Ben Braddick.