North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
North Devon 2nd XI welcome Barnstaple & Pilton to Instow this Saturday eager to bounce back from an 88-run hammering at Chardstock.
Gary Larcombe (72) and Rob Hutchings (41) pointed Chardstock towards a total of 232 all out during a stand of 73 for the second wicket. By the time Larcombe was sixth out he had been involved in partnerships worth 175.
Richard Pyman, the former Dorset seam bowler, nurdled 34 off 50 balls at the end for Chardstock.
Two bowlers stood out for North Devon: James Starkey (3-45) and David Hartley (3-37).
North Devon lost openers Starkey and Richard Screech cheaply to Alex Watson (3-41) and were glad of Jas Kalsi (25) for hanging around a long time for his 25.
You may also want to watch:
Support for Kalsi was thin on the ground though – Larcombe (3-29) and Pyman (2-27) made certain of that – and North Devon wickets fell at regular intervals on the way to 144 all out.
*Alex Brooks hit an unbeaten 67 at run-a-ball rate to take Kentisbeare to a six-wicket win at Barnstaple & Pilton.
- 1 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 2 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 5 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 6 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 9 A39 Atlantic Highway near new school 'safe' after no collisions in two years
- 10 Covid case rise in Devon's young people prompts warning
Bits and pieces from Matt Newton (18) and a pair of 16s by Rob Holm and Joe Hastie helped B&P reach 118 all out.
Wickets fell two by two to Kents’ skipper Tom Martin, James Sprague, Jacob Lewis and man of the match Brookes.
Kents lost opener Harvey Sanders three balls into their reply – Hastie (2-14) taking him out – and with Paul Tatterton and Karl Walton going cheaply were 31 for three.
Scott Chappell (22) and Brookes put on 84 for the fourth wicket and by the time the former was dismissed the target was six to win.
Other results, E Division East: Budleigh Salterton II 319-6 (L Russell 99, C Parkin 73, J England 49, J Marler 31, extras 30; J Hayter 2-14), Bideford/Littleham/WestwardHo! 175 (D Willcocks 40, J Hayter 27, extras 27; T Northover 3-14, J Marley 2-24).
Budleigh Salterton (20pts) bt Bideford/Littleham/WestwardHo! (7) by 142 runs.
F Division East: North Devon III 132-6 (M Ansell 66, D Carter 37), Braunton II 133-6 (D Brierley 44, M Jenkins 20; W Popham 2-17, A Ashworth 2-28).
Braunton (18pts) bt North Devon (6) by 4 wkts.
H Division East: Filleigh 248-5 (C Cullen 72, M Prideaux 48, P Buckley 45no; W Jenkins 2-47), Axminster 160-8 (S Flint 31, R Murdy 35no; J Hickman 2-19, K Toze 2-13).
Filleigh (19pts) bt Axminster (6) by 88 runs.
Newton Tracey 160-6 (B Sobey 82, K Soper 23, J Whormsley 26; R Ellis 3-29, L Cox 2-25), Exwick 135-9 (R Ellis 36; T Holland 3-19, D Robson 2-24).
Newton Tracey (18pts) bt Exwick (6) by 25 runs.