North Devon club addresses bass ban
- Credit: Archant
North Devon angling scene with Tony Gussin
Bideford Angling Club is one of the first to address the bass ban. EU rules have decided anglers must return all bass caught in the first six months of this year, with a one fish bag limit for the rest of the year.
Following the club’s sea section meeting it was decided no bass were allowed to the scales but anglers could still submit bass for cups and certificates if they take a picture of a bass on their own scales.
The capture must also be witnessed and the scales brought back to the clubhouse to be checked against the club’s own scales.
Tough conditions with wind and rain have persisted over the festive period, keeping sea anglers away from the coasts.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford held its monthly rover at the weekend, with Dick Talbot taking first with a pouting of 1lb 3 ¼ oz (80.208 per cent), while Phil Vanstone was second with a dogfish of 2lb 5 ¼ and Dick also took third with another dog of 1lb 15 ½.
This weekend sees the next heat of the North Devon League, with the weigh in on Sunday at Appledore.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 9 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
Stafford Moor Fishery hosted its Hangover Match on Sunday, with Carl Pender emerging as the clear winner.
Conditions were bitterly cold in the wind, but Carl weighed in a total of 71 pounds two ounces, caught by fishing pellet on the pole.
James Cooper was second with 59lb and Zac Newton third with 38lb 13oz.
During the festive period, Rob Jewell landed 10 carp at the Moor, including a 23lb 8oz beauty, while Ollie Passmore had a good fish, estimated at 21lb, from the dam wall on Lodge Lake.
The Christmas Match on December 27 saw James Cooper win with a whopping 108lb 9oz, while Mark Cullerton was second with 81lb 3oz and John Howell third with 58lb 1oz.