Mudge goal sends Robins to the top
Bideford top the table for the first time thanks to late strike against Stourport
A LATE Jamie Mudge goal has sent Bideford to the top of the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West for the first time this season.
An uneventful game at the Sports Ground against struggling Stourport Swifts was settled six minutes from time by substitute Mudge.
Despite putting men behind the ball in their own half, the bottom-of-the-table visitors had their chances in front of goal on the counter and were unfortunate to leave North Devon empty-handed.
Ollie Chenowith saved well from an excellent early Jamie Willetts strike and Kyonn Evans drilled an effort over the bar from 12 yards midway through the second half.
You may also want to watch:
But it was the new leaders who found the necessary composure when it mattered in the 84th minute.
Kevin Squire’s well-hit effort was brilliantly saved by the Swift’s Dan Platt but Mudge was in the right place at the right time to bury the rebound from close range.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 5 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
The Robins can be rightly proud of their achievements this season but they’ll be looking to strengthen their position at the top with the visit of Hampshire side Gosport Town on Saturday.
On Tuesday, Bideford face a trip to Plymouth Parkway in the second round of the St Luke’s Bowl.