Molton cup progress

THE weekend was a washout as far as most North Devon football teams were concerned.

But there was delight for North Molton as they made Devon Premier Cup progress away to Hatherleigh, who are unbeaten in their six Devon and Exeter Premier Division matches.

Molton made a super start, dominating the first half to effectively put the game out of reach at 4-1 up by half-time.

Ed Jenkins started the ball rolling with the opening goal and Andrew Alexander hit a second before the hosts pulled one back. Jamie Gifford and Liam Craze hit two more before the break and Tom Marsh further widened the gap with a fifth early in the second period.

But Hatherleigh were not finished and came at their guests after that, causing some anxious moments as they pulled two more goals back for a final 5-3 scoreline.

You may also want to watch:

“I was ecstatic with our first half performance. There was a lot of discipline, commitment and belief,” said manager Mark Kersey. “It would be unfair to pick anyone out, everyone played with real belief.”

Park United’s Senior Cup game at home to Witheridge was postponed and Shamwickshire Reserves gave Tipton St John a walk-over in what to have been a re-match after their first game was abandoned the previous week.

Most Read

Close encounters

The only North Devon Premier Division match to escape the weather saw a ding-dong battle before Torridgeside ran out 3-2 winners at home to Shamwickshire.

Shammy dominated the first 20 minutes and struck first direct from a corner. As the ball entered the goalmouth there was confusion whether it went straight into the net or gained a touch from a defender. It was credited to corner-taker Ben Evans-Loude.

Half-an-hour in and Torridgeside were level, Paddy Ions heading in from a Jamie Bright cross.

Ten minutes from the break and Ian Cockwill put Torridgeside ahead with a lofted free kick from the half-way line which caught out the Shammy defence and went straight in.

But back came Shammy with a long ball from Tom Willoughby which caught their hosts square and James Bateman nipped in to score.

The game remained balanced until 15 minutes from time Kyle Payne went on a run down the wing and crossed it in for Marc Bettis to knock home the winner.

Georgeham Reserves and Putford Reserves were also rewarded for defying the weather with a close and entertaining Intermediate Two match that was also decided by the odd goal of five – 3-2 in Georgeham’s favour.

Ed Holmes started the scoring with a cracker from 40 yards straight into the top right corner to put Georgeham 1-0 up against the run of play.

Bradley Prouse punished Georgeham for not clearing their defence when he snapped up an equaliser before the break.

Despite having possession, Putford were unable to make it count and fell 3-1 down as Jack Walker and Mike Symons showed them how, before Bradley Prouse hit a second just before the end.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus