Metronomic Wickett leads Bideford to win
- Credit: Archant
Bideford picked up a welcome win on the road when they triumphed 22-20 at Weston.
The Seasiders have been pressing for an immediate return to National Three this season and haven’t been far away from the top of the table since September.
Bideford’s previous away wins this season have been against teams below them in the table, so beating Weston was quite a scalp.
Weston took the lead in the second minute through a Dan Lomax drop-goal and the fly-half increased the lead with a penalty soon after.
With the elements in their favour the visitors hit back with a try by No.8 Dean Folland, who broke through from a scrum near the Weston line.
You may also want to watch:
Fly-half Ollie Wickett converted and also produced a superb kick from wide out to add the extras to full back Chris Snell’s try.
Weston, only eight points down at the break, must have fancied their chances with the elements in their favour in the second half.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 9 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 10 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
Soon after the restart left-wing Matt Watkins received a superb pass from centre Chris Young to scoot in under the sticks. Lomax converted and for the next 20 minutes it was all Weston.
With the Weston pack on top it was no surprise when heavy pressure at a scrum won a penalty try.
Lomax again converted and it looked as though Weston would go on and win. Bideford had other ideas and after lock Jonno Mock cut the deficit to one point it was Wickett who won the game for the visitors with a long-range penalty.