Lottery �1 million for college sports
PETROC in Barnstaple is one of 12 South West colleges set to benefit from �1.1 million in National Lottery funding to help students get involved in sport.
The money will fund 11 new jobs for full-time sports professionals to act as College Sport Makers across the region over the next five years.
The College Sport Makers will help individual sports to market their opportunities to students as well as linking colleges with community sports clubs, running leagues and sports groups and offering coaching for certain sports. Every College Sport Maker will be expected to help hundreds of students to make sport a bigger part of their lives.
Further education students have been identified as playing the least sport of young people aged 16 and over who are in education.
Participation is lower among young women than men at college, so the new workers will have a specific remit to ensure the sporting opportunities are attractive to young women and are marketed effectively to them.
You may also want to watch:
Sport England has also invited colleges across the country to bid for a share of �3 million of additional funding to improve the sport they are able to offer. Grants of between �30,000 and �150,000 will be offered to help colleges to run new sport projects. This money could pay for equipment to introduce new sports at a college, the cost of running new leagues, facility hire for students from colleges that do not have facilities or transport to get students to sessions.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 4 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
- 8 Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Fresh funds to continue rough sleeper support in North Devon