This week’s Carlsberg South West Peninsula League round-up.

Ilfracombe Town went into round two of the Walter C Parsons Cup on Saturday – but they were made to fight for a win against a dogged Budleigh Salterton side.

The Bluebirds twice went behind against the run of play and eventually got the better of the East Devon outfit in a penalty shoot-out.

Budleigh took the lead after 20 minutes of open football and few chances, breaking from an Ilfracombe corner.

Manager Clem Bennellick made a couple of changes at the break, bringing on Josh Phillips for Charlie Prentice and swapping goalkeepers Jamie Matthews and Robert Holmes.

“We’re fortunate to have players competing for places so it was good to give players chance to show what they can do,” said Bennellick.

“We came out a lot more positive in the second half and started to dominate the game. I think we sort of had a feeling we’d get back into it; we were very disciplined and didn’t rush it.”

The hosts had to be patient, and in the end it was 16-year-old right-back Jamie Mirow who sent the match into extra-time late on.

Mirow, playing in his first game for ‘Combe, grew in confidence as the game progressed and had the nerve to take a touch before rifling an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards.

In the fifth minute of extra-time, Budleigh took another unlikely lead, lobbing the keeper after catching the hosts on the break once more.

Ilfracombe had an answer but they again left it late, Brodie Montague playing a one-two with Tom Hannah before cutting inside and slotting the ball into the far corner of the net.

Montague hit the post twice late on in the final minutes but the game ended 2-2, Ilfracombe winning the shoot-out 4-2.

They will play Exeter University in the next round. Ilfracombe, who are now five games unbeaten, are without a game this weekend.

Torridgeside brushed Honiton Town aside to secure comfortable passage into round two of the Walter C Parsons Cup on Saturday.

Marc Bettis calmly finished from close range after a scramble in the box to give Torridgeside the edge at half-time.

Sam Fishwick curled a delightful second into the corner of the net with 20 minutes to go and Harry Stevens scored what manager Barry Paine described as ‘the pick of the bunch’ with 10 minutes left on the clock.

George Nancekivell rolled the ball into Bettis’ feet and he squared to Stevens to set up a nicely-worked team goal.

The win sets up a round two tie against Axminster. This Saturday, Torridgeside are at home to Sidmouth Town.

Appledore were well-beaten in the Walter C Parsons Cup on Saturday.

The Fishermen were thumped 6-1 at Marshford by an excellent University Of Exeter side – despite a promising first half which offered the hosts glimpses in front of goal but ultimately failed to deliver, Jack Langford and Connor Balmont both firing wide of the target.

Manager Keith Shapland said: “We were beaten by a much better side, although I don’t think we were as bad as the scoreline suggests, especially in the first half.

“Their keeper was probably the busiest in the first half; we created quite a few chances but we just couldn’t finish.”

Appledore were 3-1 down at the break, Jake England scoring from the penalty spot to give the hosts hope of a second-half comeback.

But when the Uni lads added a fourth there was little fight left and no way back.

“We capitulated in the second half after their fourth goal went in,” added Shapland.

“I was very disappointed with the way we defended and we didn’t really fight to the end – something we need to address.”

Appledore are at home to Liverton United on Saturday.