Appledore, Ilfracombe Town, Torridgeside and Witheridge were all in action in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League on Saturday

The Carlsberg South West Peninsula League kicked off on Saturday, but none of the four North Devon sides could take three points.

Ilfracombe Town picked up a point in their first ever Division One East game as they welcomed St Martins to Marlborough Park.

The Bluebirds took the lead midway through the first half when Sam Box got on the end of a corner to head home.

The second half had only just started when Nick Coupland was sent off for a second booking, and with an extra man St Martins eventually equalised through Ashley Barker.

Manager Clem Bennellick said he was happy to have picked up a point.

"I think against an established side like St Martins it's a good point," he said.

"People have said they're going to be right up there this season.

"We put in a solid performance and after going down to 10 men we defended brilliantly, and to take a point away - we're happy."

Ilfracombe's next opponents are Torridgeside, who also picked up a point on Saturday, drawing 2-2 with Sidmouth Town.

T-Side took the lead after 25 minutes when Harry Stevens converted from the penalty spot.

It stayed that way until the second half. Tom Tricker equalised two minutes into the second half, and 20 minutes later Nathan Antat had given them the lead.

Torridgeside upped the pressure in the latter stages, and got back on terms when Nathan Walter converted a cross from Stevens.

Appledore also began their Division One East campaign on Saturday, but will have to wait until next weekend at the very least to get off the mark after losing 4-1 to University of Exeter.

Exeter scored two goals in each half through George Bratt (2), Pascal Sedgwick and Jamal Bartley.

The Fishermen were depleted going into the game, with manager Keith Shapland the only substitute.

He eventually came on early in the second half in place of Elliot Whitecross, and got Appledore's goal.

"We were up against it from the start, with a lot of people missing," said Shapland.

"They scored two goals in each half, three of which were poor mistakes that should have been prevented. It wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests."

The Fishermen play St Martins on Saturday, and hope to have a few players back for the game.

Shapland said: "We'll crack on and have another go on Saturday - that's the beauty of playing football."

In the Premier, Witheridge - who are still looking for a new manager - were beaten 8-1 at Saltash United.