The Carlsberg South West Peninsula League season came to an end for North Devon’s clubs over the weekend.

In Division One East, Appledore got the points they needed to finish in third place, beating St Martins 1-0 at Marshford.

Jake England scored the decisive goal from the penalty spot after Oli Stevens was dragged down in the area.

Manager Keith Shapland said: “It was a scrappy game on the whole, but in the second half we were more composed and created more opportunities.

“It’s a shame we didn’t kill the game off, but at the same time they didn’t really look like scoring.”

The Fishermen knew three points would secure them a top three finish, and with it £500 of prize money.

“I know at the start how difficult it was with pre-season and going into those first games, and we’ve finished third and one win against Stoke Gabriel away from winning it,” said Shapland.

“Apart from Stoke Gabriel no-one else scored more goals than us, so that was pleasing; and to finish with a win and third place is very respectable.

“I think for the last three years we’ve finished well and for a small village club with no money, we’re punching above our weight really.”

Torridgeside ended their first season with a big win, beating Sidmouth Town 5-1.

After going 1-0 down to a breakaway goal from Ollie Binion, T-Side got back on terms when Nathan Knight turned in a Rory Paine cross.

Shaun Copp put them 2-1 ahead at the break thanks to a wind-assisted corner that went straight in.

Goals from George Nancekivell, another from Copp and substitute Marc Bettis wrapped up the win, giving Torridgeside a seventh-placed finish.

Manager Barry Paine said it was a good way to end the season.

He said: “Most of our players have come up through our youth system, and we’ve finished seventh and not far off the top five. Overall I am more than chuffed with it.

“It tailed off because our squad across the three teams isn’t quite big enough, so that’s one thing we’ve got to work on, but I’m more than happy with this season.”

In Divison One West, Holsworthy found their early-season form to end the campaign on a high.

The Magpies beat Illogan RBL 4-1 at Upcott Field on Saturday in their final game.

Tudor Placinta scored a hat-trick in the win, with Nathan Bonney adding.

The result means Holsworthy finish in 15th place.

Witheridge’s Premier season ended on Friday night with a 2-1 defeat at Bodmin Town.

Penalties were the difference in the match, with both of Bodmin’s coming from the spot courtesy of Lance Bailey.

Joe Barker had equalised for Withy, and had he converted a penalty of his own with the score at 0-0, it could have been a much different outcome for a Withy side who worked hard.

Withy finish the season in 18th place.