Barum beat Slimbridge 1-0 to give them their first league win since October 25

Barnstaple Town ended a six-game losing streak in the Southern League to return to winning ways.

Ryan Turner’s goal after 31 minutes was enough to give Barnstaple three much-needed points against Slimbridge in Division One South and West.

It was Barum’s first win in the league since their 5-0 win over Bridgwater Town on October 25.

Barnstaple remain in the bottom four, but manager Barry Yeo said he hoped the result would provide a boost for his side.

He said: “The frustrating thing is we’ve been playing well and have been disappointed not to come away with something from some of those games.

“The way we started on Saturday, for 35 minutes it was some of the best football we’ve played, certainly this season.

“It was a relief to get that goal, and from there it was about trying to manage the game.

“We had six or seven good chances and their keeper has pulled off one or two good saves.”

Playing in driving rain, it was Barnstaple who adapted to the conditions quickest.

Lee Francis had an early shot saved, before Liam Gregory, James Blake and Jack Jenkins forced saves from keeper Adam Kowalski.

Turner scored the pivotal goal after 31 minutes, following up his own header off the crossbar to finish from close range.

He nearly made it two before the break, but his shot was denied by Kowalski.

Barum continued where they left off in the second half, with Turner again going close.

The crossbar kept Blake from extending the scoreline shortly after the hour.

They did well to limit Slimbridge to a handful of opportunities, with James Harding going closest for the home side with under 10 minutes remaining.

Yeo was keen to praise his defence, who despite the losing streak, have been tough to break down for a lot of sides.

“Defensively we deserved that clean sheet,” said Yeo.

“We probably don’t give them the credit they deserve, but we’ve not let in many goals this season, we just haven’t quite managed to put them away at the other end.”

Barnstaple were due to travel to North Leigh tonight, but an FA Trophy replay for their opponents meant the game was postponed.

Therefore Barum’s next game comes on Saturday, when they travel to Wimborne Town.

“To walk away with three points was great for us and hopefully it can boost us for the next game,” said Yeo.

“If we can go there and defend, and be strong from front to back, we will give ourselves a chance.”