Bideford go second with a big win against unbeaten Sholing

BIDEFORD climbed to second in the Evo-Stik League Southern with a barn-storming 3-2 win against previously unbeaten Sholing on Saturday.

Substitute Seb Bloomfield scored the winning goal with his first touch of the game seconds after coming on to replace Kevin Squire with 11 minutes left to play at the Sports Ground

The action came thick and fast from the first whistle with both keepers kept on their toes during the opening half hour.

The Robins’ Ollie Chenoweth denied Marvin McLean the game’s first goal, while Barry Mason and Kevin Gibbens fired just wide of the mark. At the other end Mike Hookway was called into action as Bideford worked the ball well through the midfield.

Sholing needed a penalty kick to finally find a way past Chenoweth on 31 minutes, Iain Seabrook the scorer after Byron Mason was clattered by the Bideford keeper.

Craig Herrod levelled the scores on 38 minutes when Hookway could only parry Matt Bye’s shot.

Substitute Ben Wood gave Bideford an alternative attacking edge with a long throw-in that was to prove pivotal on two occasions. The first gave the hosts the lead for the first time in the match, Matt Hockley connecting at the far post with a diving header to make it 2-1.

Sholing pulled themselves back into the game with a tap-in by substitute Lee Wort and the game looked there for the taking.

Tyronne Bowers had some long efforts saved but when he was penalised for taking a throw-in in the wrong place, it was Wood’s long-rang touchline launch to Bloomfield that settled the match.

Sholing’s Mike Carter was given a second yellow card for dangerous play when he attempted to clear with an overhead kick.

A dramatic final 10 minutes also produced a good chance for Wort to equalise but Bideford held firm to make it five wins from seven in the league this season.

This Saturday, FA Cup football returns to the Sports Ground when Bideford host bottom side Bridgewater Town in the Round One Preliminary tie.