This week’s North Devon Football League round-up

Clubs across North Devon were back on the field on Saturday as the North Devon Football League returned.

The first weekend of league fixtures saw 25 matches played across the league’s four divisions, with another 27 scheduled to take place tonight (Tuesday) and Wednesday.


The big winners on opening day were new boys Ilfracombe Town Reserves, who romped to a 10-0 win at Barnstaple FC.

Maxwell Smith (2), Mark Gilfillan, Chay Isaac and Peter Varley scored, and all four of Ilfracombe’s substitutes got on the scoresheet, with David Slade (2), Andros Stavrinou, Mark Lancey and Adrian Rice all netting.

Barnstaple play North Molton on Tuesday night, with both teams looking for their first points.

Molton lost 4-2 to Boca Seniors on Saturday, with a hat-trick from Boca’s Scott Sharp doing the damage.

Adam Copp also scored for Boca. James Giffard and Cory Roach netted for North Molton.

Last season’s Brayford Cup winners Park United were beaten 3-1 by Fremington on Saturday.

Simon Larcombe opened the scoring for Frem before Archie Christie doubled from the penalty spot.

Mischa Howe pulled one back for Park but a late goal from Dan Larcombe sealed victory for the home side.

The win for Mark Tucker and Marc Churchill’s nicely sets up a meeting with Braunton on Tuesday night.

Braunton kicked off their campaign on Saturday with a 3-0 win over Bideford CAFC at Lobb Field.

CJ Roberts got the scoring underway with a header in the first half.

They extended their lead after half-time when Dan Roberts’ cross to the back post was met by Dave Mason to head home.

Roberts was involved with the third, with his shot at goal getting a touch from Ross Maynard on the way in.

Torrington were also big winners on Saturday, beating Bradworthy 5-0.

Nathan Delaune and Kai Dymond both got braces for Torrington, and Josh White came off the bench to score.

Last season’s runners-up Shamwickshire Rovers got their season off to a good start with a 4-1 win over Landkey Town.

James Bateman fired in a hat-trick for Shammy, with strike partner Davey Platt also netting. Dan Hommell scored the consolation for Landkey.

Hartland Clovelly edged a 3-2 win over Shebbear United in the other game on Saturday.


Last season’s Intermediate One champions Appledore Reserves had no problems adjusting to life in the North Devon Senior.

The Fishermen put themselves on the top of the table after the first round of matches after a 6-1 win over High Bickington on Saturday.

Ashton Donovan netted a hat-trick in the win, with goals also coming from Rob Kearney, Charlie Webb and Matt Fay.

Putford, who finished at the foot of the Senior last season, picked up an opening day win at home to Braunton Reserves on Saturday.

Peter Harris scored two for Putford before being sent off for a second booking. Wojciech Biela also scored for the home side.

Bradley Williams and Jonathon Shury netted for Braunton.

There was only one goal in it at Burrough Farm too, where Merton edged out Northam Lions with a 1-0 win. James Ashton got the decisive goal for the visitors.

The other team to take three points on Saturday was Chittlehampton, who beat newcomers Fremington Reserves 2-1.

Stratton United and Georgeham and Croyde played out a 2-2 draw.

Sean Manning and Alex Parker netted for Stratton, while Raith Whattingham and Jonathan Squire scored for Georgeham.

Kilkhampton also drew 2-2 with Combe Martin.

Pilton Academicals’ game against Ilfracombe Town Thirds ended 4-4.

A Luke Arkless hat-trick helped Pilton, with Ben Paul also scoring. James Harker, Oscar Brown and Connor McKechnie scored for the Bluebirds, who were also helped by an own goal.

Intermediate One

New boys Appledore Lions got off to a winning start on Saturday, enjoying a 4-1 victory over North Molton Reserves.

Tom Gleeson put Lions ahead, and in a fracas that saw both sides reduced to 10-men, Gleeson was giving his marching orders for kissing his opponent.

Two free-kicks from Danny Woollacott and a goal for Sam Longhurst on his debut gave Lions all three points. Ollie Chalk got the goal for the Stags.

Braunton Thirds were the only side to keep a clean sheet on Saturday, beating Morwenstow Reserves 3-0.

Stephen Filsell scored all three goals for Braunton.

Haxton Rangers were the big winners, beating Hartland Clovelly Reserves 6-1.

Holsworthy Reserves got off to a good start, beating Equalizers 4-1 in their first game.

Jack Greening, Joel Greening and Justinas Misevicius netted for the Magpies, who were also helped by an own goal. Steven Isaac scored for Equalizers.

Last season’s Intermediate Two champions Bridgerule drew 2-2 with South Molton in their first game.

Intermediate Two

Bideford AFC Spurs got off to a winning start in Intermediate Two with a 4-2 win over Torridgeside Thirds.

Ben Boswell (2), Kyle England and Sam Grimley scored for Bideford, with Aidan Guppy and Alfie Stevens netting for T-Side.

Appledore Thirds also started strongly, beating Georgeham and Croyde Reserves 4-0.

Braunton Fourths picked up three points with a 3-1 win over Ashwater.

Woolsery travelled to Combe Martin Reserves and also came away with a 3-1 win.

Shebbear United Reserves and Park Rangers shared the points on opening day. Goals from Kenny Griffin and Kyle Pennington for Shebbear were cancelled out by a brace from Daniel Edge.

Woolacombe and Bridgerule Reserves scored three each as they shared the points too. Joseph Norman (2) and Jamie Prideaux scored for Woolacombe. Jason Heard (2) and Harrison Bye netted for Bridgerule.