Fremington striker scores four times in 5-1 win at AFC Anchor

ANDY King scored four times for Intermediate One title contenders Fremington in a 5-1 win at AFC Anchor on Saturday.

King put Fremmy 1-0 up after 10 minutes at Rock Park, Wayne Parkhouse adding a second as the sides went in 2-1 at the break.

Despite the game tightening up after the re-start, King managed to bag three more goals to secure the points.

“Anchor are a big side and they battled well,” said Fremington manager John Thompson.

The only disappointment for Thompson will be the news that centre half Phil May is likely to be out for three months after suffering a broken collar bone during a bad fall just 10 minutes into Saturday’s match.

Merton maintained their place at the top of the table with a 4-2 win at home to Woolacombe and Mortehoe – but they were made to work for it.

The visitors played their best football of the season and were unlucky not to come away with at least a point.

Nic Shilleto opened the scoring for Wooly with a sweet left foot effort that flew into the top corner from just outside the penalty box.

Merton pulled one back but Josh Phillips restored Woolacombe’s lead when he was in the right place at the right time to knock the ball into the net from six yards following a goalmouth scramble.

Merton made it 2-2 before the break with what turned out to be the most controversial incident of the game. Three players looked to be in such an advanced offside position that play had stopped as players turned to the referee for a whistle that never came. The Woolacombe linesman missed the incident and the official in the middle could only award a goal after a quick-thinking Merton player pounced on the opportunity to walk the ball past the visiting goalkeeper.

Woolacombe continued to outplay their opponents in second half and Phillips hit the bar with a header, Stuart Haynes hit the post and Shilleto had an effort cleared off the line as Merton rode their luck.

But it was the league leaders who had the game’s final say with two goals to seal a fourth straight win.

Tom Gleeson scored a hat-trick for Northside Atlantic in a 5-3 win against Sporting Barum at Victoria Park. Kieran Hodge and Matt Cann were also on target for Northside, who went third in the table with their third win on the bounce.

Nico Pfieffer and Phil Norman scored two each as Equalizers put a bad run of four straight defeats behind them with a 5-1 win against Clovelly. Greg Norman grabbed the single but Phil Norman’s second was the pick of the bunch, a rasping shot that cannoned in off the underside of the crossbar.

Northam Lions Reserves moved up to fifth with their fifth straight win. Cosmo Ayres, Trevor May and Craig Russell all scored in the 3-2 victory at Landkey.

Steve Burns scored three as Ilfracombe Town Reserves hammered Woolsery Reserves 6-0 on the road. Neil Reed, Olivier Dept and Ryan Offield were also on target for the Bluebirds, who are fourth in the table.

Joe Dakin scored for Hartland in a 2-1 defeat away to Braunton Thirds.