NEW boys Fremington maintained their perfect start to the season with a 7-2 win at AFC Anchor Reserves at Rock Park on Saturday. Andy Sanders bagged four for the Intermediate Two side and there was a brace for Andy King and a single for Mike Wills. The v

NEW boys Fremington maintained their perfect start to the season with a 7-2 win at AFC Anchor Reserves at Rock Park on Saturday.

Andy Sanders bagged four for the Intermediate Two side and there was a brace for Andy King and a single for Mike Wills.

The victory made it four wins from four for the league newcomers, who have hit the ground running with an astonishing 30 goals in a matter of weeks.

Barnstaple FC also made it four from four this season with a 4-0 win at Torridgeside Reserves, Connor Nash, Danny Crocker, Wayne Goldsmith and Stuart McKinnon scoring the goals for Barum.

There was a good win too for Hartland Reserves, who smashed North Molton Thirds for seven to pick up their first win of the new campaign.

On pitch three at Rock Park, the heat failed to sap the life out of a classic late summer tussle between Pilton Academicals Reserves and Bradworthy Reserves. In the opening 45, the visitors enjoyed long spells with the ball in Pilton's final third but were unable to break the deadlock thanks in part to some outstanding work between the sticks by the Accies' Dave Holton.

But Pilton always looked dangerous on the break and when captain Simon Furse broke down the right, Andy Keeble made a box-to-box run from left back to connect with the skipper's pinpoint cross and power home a header to break the deadlock.

Pilton's counter-attacking football should have resulted in more before the break but Bradworthy got themselves back into the match with an unstoppable free-kick 10 minutes into the second period. Ten minutes, later they were 2-1 up after Pilton's Mark Ford was harshly adjudged to have handled on the edge of the box. The same Bradworthy player drilled the ball past Holton with a mirror-image set-piece into the opposite corner of the net.

Two-one became 2-2 when Matthew Dellar broke the offside trap to cover 20 yards and neatly slot past the keeper from a further 20. With five minutes to go, Bradworthy were back in front but in the final move of the match, Keeble's inswinging corner found substitute Carl Blair who levelled the scores at 3-3 from close range.

On Sunday, "super sub" Steve Seatherton scored an 85th minute winner for South Molton Reserves in a 3-2 victory over Anchor Chiefs. Wayne Colton had opened the scores for the Images on 60 minutes before the Chiefs hit back with two goals by Trevor May and Kev Perkins.

Brenden Shaddick equalized for Molton from a corner kick before Seatherton grabbed all three points for the hosts.

Anchor manager Mick Tattersall said he had had to shuffle his side around after a number of players pulled out at the last minute, but was pleased with his side's effort.

"It was a nightmare but I am very happy with the lads that did the job for me on that game," he said.

"Players had to play out of position and the entire midfield four were just 16 years old."


Wrey Arms have been given a tough introduction to life in Intermediate One. Last season's unbeaten Intermediate Two champions have drawn their opening two games, starting with a 3-3 Barnstaple derby with Equalizers at the Tarka Tennis Centre on Wednesday night.

Nico Pfeiffer opened the scoring for Equalizers and Dan Berry doubled the lead with a 30-yard top corner strike midway through the first half.

Dan Dayman pulled two back for the Wrey but when Darren Floyde scored for Equalizers five minutes from time he thought he'd won the game until new signing Joe Gillard levelled the scores from the penalty spot.

On Saturday, Wrey took a hard fought point at Merton. Despite playing some good football in the first half, they had to wait until the hour mark to take the lead via Simon Larcombe. Merton piled on the pressure and a late cross was put into his own net by captain Marc Churchill.

After opening their season with a 4-2 win at Northam Lions Reserves on Wednesday, Clovelly stretched their unbeaten run to five games with a 2-2 draw at home to AFC Anchor on Saturday.

The Black and Whites were 2-0 down before Rob Kearney pulled a goal back before the break. With renewed confidence and a switch in tactics to add an extra man up top, Clovelly pushed hard and were rewarded with a Stuart Burgess equaliser.

Promoted Woolacombe & Mortehoe followed Wednesday night's 3-3 season opener at Lynton & Lynmouth with a 5 - 2 win against relegated Landkey on Saturday. Adam Baxter (2), Howard Dennis (2) and Liam Dyer scored the weekend goals.


In the Premier Division, Appledore Reserves are now the only unbeaten side, having taken four wins from their opening four games. The Fishermen have emulated their first team by maintaining a perfect start to the season, picking up 2-1 wins at home to Bradworthy on Wednesday and at Ilfracombe Town Reserves on Saturday.

Champions Shamwickshire Rovers got a win under their belts at the third time of asking thanks to a 2-0 win at home to Braunton, while Barnstaple AAC were unable to build on last Wednesday's 4-1 win against rivals Boca Seniors with another win at the weekend; the Ammies drew 1-1 against a North Molton side that has failed to find a spark so far this season. The Ammies play Boca again tonight (Wednesday).


In the Senior Division, Simon Loosemore opened the scoring for South Molton with a long range overhead kick 10 minutes into the game at Bude. Jamie Giffard scored either side of the break and Shaun Dudley Large added another 15 minutes from time as the Images romped to a 4-2 win.


The majority of North Devon Gazette League sides are in round one Devon County Cup action this weekend.

In the Graddon Vending Premier Cup, Appledore Res, Boca Seniors, Combe Martin, Dolton, Hatherleigh Town, Holsworthy, North Molton, Putford, Shamwickshire Rovers and Torridgeside have all been given byes to round two.

In the Firewatch Senior Cup Hartland, Holsworthy Res, Shamwickshire Rovers and Shebbear United Torridgeside have all got byes to the second round. Pilton Academicals also go into the hat for round two after opponents Staddiscombe Colts Res withdrew from the competition.

In the Devon Intermediate Cup, byes go to Barnstaple FC and Winkleigh Res.