This week’s cup round-up from the North Devon Gazette Football League


The goals flew in in the first round of this season’s Brayford Cup - though cup upsets were few and far between.

Defending champions Torridgeside led the way with 11 goals - giving no indication that they are likely to throw away their title without a good fight.

Marc Bettiss was outstanding for the home side, netting six against a bemused Appledore Reserves.

Kyle Paine scored a hat-trick, and there was one each for Harry Taffs and George.

Last year’s beaten finalists Braunton also cruised through with a minimum of fuss, brushing aside North Molton by five goals to one.

Ross Maynard led the charge with a hat-trick, with Joe Seldon and Simon Townsend also on target. Sam Phillips grabbed Molton’s goal.

Braunton will have to be wary of their second round opponents, though.

They will face Shebbear United, who threw out the form book to beat Bideford CAFC in a thrilling first round encounter.

A Matt Facey hat-trick led Shebbear to a 5-4 win, with support from Brendan Hearn and Shaun Sluggett.

Bideford’s goals came from Danny Jenkins, Buzz Lightyear, Gary Skinner and Adam Copp, but proved insufficient.

Torridgeside, meanwhile, will face Bradworthy in round two after they beat Fremington 5-1.

League champions Boca Seniors have made a good start to the season, and translated that into a 7-1 cup success against Shamwickshire Rovers.

Their victory sets up a second round clash with Landkey Town, who won a tight contest at Park United.

Their game finished 3-2 to the visitors.

Ilfracombe Town will play Torrington in the other round two tie, after Combe overcame Barnstaple FC on Saturday.

They won 3-2, while Torrington received a bye to round two.


Combe Martin Cup holders Hartland scraped through to round two of this year’s competition with a 1-0 win over visiting Barnstaple AAC.

It was a hard-fought win for Hartland, but enough to extend their unbeaten run to the season following six wins and a draw in seven league games.

Hartland will be glad to have safely made it through to the second round - something which last year’s runners-up Combe Martin failed to do in spectacular fashion.

They were crushed 8-0 by Braunton Reserves, with Alan Woodcock scoring four as part of the rout.

There were also strikes from Chris Roberts (2), Tavis Fairlie and Tom Hunnibell.

Hartland will face Merton, after Merton won 2-1 at Chittlehampton, and Braunton are drawn against Pilton Academicals.

Pilton beat Georgeham and Croyde 3-2 thanks to goals from Luke Holland, Matthew Hunt and Dan Puffitt.

Shamwickshire Reserves beat Lynton and Lynmouth 4-2 to set up a meeting with Torridgeside Reserves, who beat Chivenor.

Northam Lions will meet Woolacombe and Mortehoe after both won tight first round ties.


Matthew Deakin plundered seven goals as Sporting Barum eased past Barnstaple FC Reserves on Saturday.

Sporting were 12-1 winners at Rock Park, with further goals from Jack Cornell, Liam Hawkins, Marcus Mahoney, Mathew Mitchell and an own goal.

Ryan Elston netted for Barnstaple.

The next highest goalscorers in the Arlington Cup over the weekend were Morwenstow Reserves, who put seven past South Molton without reply.

Morwenstow will now meet Sporting in round two - a tie which promises plenty of goals.

A Colin Welch hat-trick fired Haxton Rangers through at the expense of Anchor Chiefs.

They won 6-3, with Robert Scoines, Richard Tucker and an own goal completing Haxton’s scoring.

Chiefs’ goals came from Joseph Sherman (2) and Tom Barton.

Haxton go on to face Equalizers in the next round, after they were given a bye in round one.

Clovelly have made a good start to the season in the league, and now also have a second round tie in the Arlington Cup to look forward to.

Clovelly beat Landkey Reserves 4-1 to set up a clash with Ilfracombe Town Reserves, who were 1-0 winners at Torrington Reserves.

Kye Goodman got the decisive goal in their tightly-fought contest.

Last year’s runners-up Braunton Thirds are also through after their first round opponents Appledore Thirds were unable to fulfil Saturday’s fixture.

There was also one league game in Intermediate One - but it proved to be an eventful one.

High Bickington beat Equalizers 3-2, despite a sending off for Tom Sanders.

Fraser Reeves scored a hat-trick for High Bickington.


Combe Martin Reserves cruised into round two of the NDJ Cup with a commanding 6-1 win at Putford Reserves.

Their victory sets up an enticing second round clash with Braunton Fourths, who received a bye in the first round.

A Nick Trump brace helped Georgeham and Croyde Reserves past Merton Reserves.

They won 4-2, with Dean Seville and Dylan Pearce scoring for Georgeham and Brendan Harris netting twice for Merton.

Fremington Reserves beat Appledore Lions 3-1, thanks to strikes from Darryll Reed (2) and Jamie Rolfe.

A brace from Brodie Montague ensured Ilfracombe Thirds overcame Bideford CAFC Reserves to reach round two.

James Harker was also on target in a 3-1 win.