Former champs flay the flag for North Devon in countywide comp

IT’S no longer a stranglehold, more of a faint grasp; but North Devon’s grip on the Devon Graddon Vending Premier Cup is still in tact despite a disappointing weekend for the area’s sides.

Boca Seniors added another pair of higher league antlers to the trophy wall with a 4-0 win at South West Peninsula League side Crediton United.

The 2009 champions were the only side to make it through to the last 16 of the competition, with cup holders Appledore, Braunton and Shamwickshire Rovers all crashing out in round three ties on Saturday.

Despite good early chances for Tom Marsh and strike partner Richard Shannon, Boca struggled to make much of impact in front of goal in the first half at Lords Meadow.

Crediton have only won twice in the league this season and are currently languishing second-from bottom in the Division One East table but Boca had goalkeeper Darren Babb to thank for keeping parity in the first half.

Shannon broke the deadlock soon after the restart and the visitors were then given a major boost when “the Kyrton” were reduced to 10-men when Marsh was brought down on the edge of the box.

Shannon made it two and further goals by Marsh and Matt Deakin wrapped up the win and

The Barnstaple side will play Exmouth Town on December 4. The Peninsula side beat Appledore at Marshford, twice coming from behind before winning the tie on penalties

Steve Skinner opened the scoring for the hosts on 15 minutes but Scott Howarth equalised for Exmouth five minutes later. Aaron Stevens restored the lead for Appledore but the visitors hit back again before the break.

After a goalless second half and extra-time, Exmouth keeper Adrian Pullin was the hero in the shoot-out.

Braunton were unable to match the firepower of Peninsula side Stoke Gabriel, who hit three in the first half at Lobb Field.

Dan Roberts pulled one back from 30 yards with 20 minutes to go but there was to be no comeback as the scores stayed at 3-1.

Shammy were also beaten 3-1 during a trip to second-placed Devon & Exeter League Premier Division side Sidmouth Town.

The East-the-Water side took the lead through James Bateman but were pegged back when the Vikings staged a raid of their own in the second half.

Manager Gary Ford said his side had made a good account of itself both on and off the pitch: “We made a real day of it and took a 57-seater coach down with players and supporters, and even some of the Torrington lads.

“We thrashed the Sidmouth boys at skittles 6-2 in the clubhouse after the match and stayed until about 8pm so it was a good day out.”

In round three of the Devon Firewatch Senior Cup, Shebbear United and Woolsery both bit the dust on home turf on Saturday.

Shebbear were beaten 3-0 by Chard United, while last year’s Intermediate County Cup winners Woolsery went down 5-1 against Exeter Civil Service.

There was a 5-4 defeat for Witheridge Reserves at Cafe Roma and Bratton Fleming and Barnstaple Town Reserves will try again this weekend after Saturday’s game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The winners face a trip to Chard United in the next round.

There were plenty of post November 5 fireworks in the Barnstaple derby between Wrey Arms and Equalizers.

Equalizers booked their place in the Devon Intermediate Cup north area semi-final with a 2-1 extra-time win at the Tarka Tennis Centre.

Matt Hawkins cut in from the left and beat his marker before striking a right foot top corner shot from 20 yards to give settle the visitors into a 1-0 half-time lead.

Craig Smith hit a free-kick to level the scores at full time but Adam Sobey hit a free-kick of his own in extra-time to give Equalizers the win.

They will play High Bickington in the area semis after they went through as 3-2 winners at home to Landkey Town.

Northside Atlantic scored four goals in the first half of their game against Barnstaple FC.

Neil Armstrong opened the scoring from the penalty spot before Connor Nash pulled one back for the visitors.

An own-goal restored Northside’s lead and Vinny Bott increased it with a header soon after.

Damian Shaddick made it 4-1 as the Victoria Park-based side set up a semi-final against an ominous-looking Chulmleigh side that smashed Bradworthy Reserves 10-0.