Putford Reserves had the win of the opening round, beating league leaders Barnstaple FC Reserves 2-1.

They led 1-0 through Richard Maynard and added a second after the break by Arlo Reddick after Barnstaple had been reduced to 10 men following unwise words during a goalmouth scramble. Barnstaple pulled one back in the closing minutes.

A master class from midfielders Arran Brookes, Sean Freeman, Steve Eggleton and Tom Gladwin assured Buckland Brewer of a second win on the bounce with a 3-0 result at home to Georgeham Reserves.

Brookes opened the scoring after 15 mins with a low powerful finish after running at the defence. Gladwin caused all sorts of problems with his direct running and slick passing and was rewarded on the half hour mark with a great solo goal. The second half saw Buckland wasteful in front of goal before Aiden Clarke beat the offside trap to slot home a well taken third. Several Georgeham players cried off on Saturday morning, leaving gaps to be filled by youngsters and ‘old stagers.’

A makeshift Anchor Chiefs Reserves, with players out of position and some covering the first team, were delighted to win through 2-0 away to Chittlehampton Reserves.

Joseph Sherman, normally a right back, stepped up to score both the goals in the opening half, the first from the penalty spot and the second a great strike into the corner of the net. Chittle had the better of the second half, but could not break down a strong defence, including an outstanding penalty save by Sam Barton in the 70th minute and another great save of the rebound strike.

Northam Lions 3rds lost 4-2 after extra time at home to Woolsery Reserves, having had their keeper sent off after 20 minutes. Lions scorers were Andy Wenham and James Atkinson.

Substitute goalkeeper Ollie Kershaw was brought on-field to help a depleted Braunton 4ths at home to South Molton Reserves and ended up scoring his first ever goal - a stunner from 20 yards. Braunton went on to win 8-1 with other goals by Dan Ball (2), Alan Woodcock (2), Will dale, Matt Bull and Ben Paul. Ben Sladden stopped the Braunton boys from keeping a clean sheet.