Barum lost 2-0 to Bishops Cleeve in Division One South and West this afternoon (Saturday)

Two goals in five minutes consigned Barnstaple Town to their third consecutive home defeat in the Evo-Stik Southern League.

Second half goals from Jacob Davidge and Ben Hayes gave Bishops Cleeve a 2-0 win at Mill Road, and three points to take back to Cheltenham.

The manner of the defeat will be a concern for Barnstaple, who have been without so much as a goal at home since August 16 in Division One South and West.

The first half was a slow burner, with neither goalkeeper being tested until the half-way point.

Barnstaple v Bishops Cleeve 24-09-16. Picture: Andy KeebleBarnstaple v Bishops Cleeve 24-09-16. Picture: Andy Keeble

Steve Oliver was first to have his goal threatened. Logan Stoddart’s long diagonal ball was met on the volley by James Baldwin. His cross-cum-shot forced the Barnstaple goalkeeper to scramble across goal to catch the ball.

After that Barnstaple started turning the screw, Ryan Turner and Lee Francis both having decent chances to break the deadlock.

Francis’s first opportunity came as a result of Turner’s industry, with the number 9 pressuring Tom Hoskins the centre-back inadvertently played in Francis, who fired his shot at Mat Wieczorek.

Wieczorek by all accounts was responsible for ensuring his side went in level at the break, after being called into action numerous times before the first half was up.

The half-time whistle would have been unwanted by the home team, and it certinaly affected their rhythm in the second half.

Turner was the bright spark for Barnstaple until he made way for James Blake after 70 minutes.

A minute after Turner departed, Cleeve were in the lead. Davidge, was played in behind the Barum defence. With Steve Oliver rushing at him, the striker dinked the ball over him to break the deadlock.

Five minutes later, Cleeve had doubled their lead. Hayes, who scored last weekend against Bideford, rose at the back post to squeeze a header into the net.

That would be how it stayed, and despite the introduction of Shaun Copp and Scott Sharp, Cleeve held firm in the final stages to seal three points.