Barum drew 1-1 with Yate in their first ever Southern League fixture.

A late goal from Craig Allan ensured Barnstaple Town came away from their first ever Evo-Stik Southern League match with a point.

It had looked as though early nerves would prove to be Barum’s downfall until the centre-back met Jed Harper-Penman’s cross at the back post in the 83rd minute.

The goal cancelled out Sacha Tong’s first half header in the Division One South and West.

The occasion looked to be getting the better of Barnstaple early on, with Yate - or the Bluebells, as they’re also known - enjoying more of the ball.

Tong caused the three Barum centre-backs many problems in the opening exchanges, and nearly gave the visitors the lead after he latched onto a soft back-pass from Allan, but for keeper Steve Oliver to save.

The centre-forward was at the forefront of most of the action in the first-half, with James Mayne having to be substituted in the first half after a collision with the striker.

Tong got his reward with ten minutes of the first half remaining - and it came from a Barnstaple free-kick.

A quick pass was intercepted, and within seconds the Bluebells had made it into Barum’s final third, with Kyle Thomas crossing for Tong to head into Oliver’s bottom left corner.

The goal woke Barnstaple up, and from then on they enjoyed much more pressure on the Yate goal.

They almost had their equaliser when Kye Mountford’s header looked destined for his own net, but Kane Mannings managed to palm the ball away for a corner.

The second half saw a much more confident Barnstaple and a much more assured defence.

Allan, Aaron Harper-Penman and Niall Heeney stifled Tong until the striker had to be substituted with a suspected broken wrist, after falling under an Allan challenge on the hour.

Despite having more of the ball, Barum weren’t able to carve out many opportunities, with excellent build up play often lacking that final ball.

When they did get their chance, they took it.

Shaun Copp took a short corner to Jed Harper-Penman, who whipped a ball in to the back post for Allan to meet and send into the roof of the net to equalise.