MAN-of the-match Barnstaple Ammies defender Mark Thorne played a blinder to help his side plunder Boca's thunder in the all-Barum Brayford Cup quarter-final clash on Saturday. Playing on the right hand side of the Ammies' three-man defence, Thorne was goo

MAN-of the-match Barnstaple Ammies defender Mark Thorne played a blinder to help his side plunder Boca's thunder in the all-Barum Brayford Cup quarter-final clash on Saturday.Playing on the right hand side of the Ammies' three-man defence, Thorne was good on the ball and won everything in the air. And with 10 minutes left until half-time, he broke the deadlock by firing through a forest of legs from the edge of the 18-yard box, and into the bottom left corner beyond the reach of the outstretched Darren Babb.If the Boca defence was the busier of the two in the first half, Darren Todd's side turned the tables in the second, with a number of key players beginning to get involved, in particular, Sid Daniel and Matt Deakin enjoying some good work down the Ammies' left.The home side readily admitted that it was they who were under the cosh leading up to Richard Shannon's equaliser on 60 minutes. But they responded well and looked lively in the last 20. And just when it looked like the game was heading into extra time, Ollie James had other ideas.With five minutes to go, Scott Sharpe crossed from the right. Babb did well to save James' first effort but could do little to stop the follow-up that knocked the holders out - their first defeat since losing to Plymouth Parkway way back on September 8.If the Ammies are to get their hands on the cup this season, they will have done it the hard way. Their tough passage into the semis has already included a first round win against Combe Martin. Now they'll have to turn it on again for a semi-final Pollyfield tie against Shamwickshire Rovers on March 1.Shammy have had a tough few weeks of late after surrendering their place at the top of the North Devon Football League Premier Division to rivals Boca. And they booked their own ticket to the semis the hard way at home to Bradworthy on Saturday. They finally shrugged off a dogged challenge by the visitors, winning 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at the end of extra time.In the other quarter finals, Appledore's game against Grosvenor/Lovacott also went into extra time.In a topsy-turvey game, the Barnstaple side took the lead through Joe Gillard before Appledore hit back with a goal by Sean Copp.After half-time, they were behind again though Ben Walters and looked to be bowing out until Copp delivered the goods again just five minutes from time. In extra time, Appledore took the initiative and raced into a 4-2 lead through substitutes Sean Downing and Mark Clarke. Sixteen-year-old Downing, making only his second start for Appledore, got his first for the club with a fine header from a corner. And after Grosvenor/Lovacott hauled themselves back into the game with a remarkable Luke and Greg Holland double deep into extra time, it was the young wide right player that scored the winner with three minutes to go.The goal rewarded Appledore with a semi final away to Georgeham, who made it through with a deserved 2-1 win against a potentially tricky North Molton side.Rob Scott had given the Stags the lead with a typically well-taken goal on 25 minutes. Taking the ball down with his chest, Scott turned and went past two defenders to fire his shot low and hard.The equaliser came through a scrappy David Newsome goal on 38 minutes, the ball bundled into the net following a good move by the Hammers. Although Molton rattled the crossbar and kept the home side quiet in the first half, the second half was all about Georgeham who seemed to capitalise on Molton's half-time loss of injured Scott Braynt. The Hammers were totally on top and missed a hatful of chances. They got what proved to be the winner on 65 minutes through Andy Bwye and despite missing a penalty with 10 minutes to play, held firm for a place in the semis.Combe Martin Cup and Holman Cup holders Torridgeside are probably still trying to shake off a double cup hangover this week. On Saturday, they crashed out of the Combe Marin Cup at the hands of Pilton Academicals. Tony Higgs scored Pilton's first 10 minututes before half-time and Carl Blair doubled the lead mid-way through part two. Higgs missed a penalty for Pilton before Scott Huxtable scored a consolation from the spot in injury time.On Sunday, they could only watch as North Tawton knocked them out of the Holman Cup with a single goal in the last minute of the match.Meanwhile, down the road from Donnacroft, rivals Torrington had no such disappointment in their league cup tie with Barnstaple Ammies Reserves at Vicarage Road. But despite enduring heavy first-half pressure, the Barnstaple side took Torrie all the way to extra time before Danny Jenkins scored his 23rd goal in 25 games this season with five minutes left to play. Torrie had actually gone a goal down before Ben Ford leapt like the proverbial salmon to smash home a fine header 10 minutes before half-time (see pic top left). In the second half, Trevor May chested down and volleyed into the bottom corner to give the home side a deserved lead. The Ammies equalised 15 minutes before full-time and were unlucky not to nick it themselves, player manager Peter Ellis doing well to stop a one-on-one five minutes before the end.Torrington will play South Molton or Pilton Academicals depending on the result of this weekend's quarter-final.Braunton Reserves knocked Bratton Fleming out with a single Louis Murrell goal at Lobb Field. Braunton face a semi-final battle with Ilfracombe Town Reserves who went through 5-2 winners against Clovelly thanks to a Callum Norman hat-trick, and goals by Mark Gilfillan and Paul Holman.In the Arlington Cup, Equalizers found themselves 1- 0 down in their away game with Torrington Admirals inside the first 15 minutes. But they soon responded through Damian Green's 25-yard lob over a retreating goalkeeper.The goal spurred the Barnstaple side on and a good run from Andrew Parkhouse ended with a superb shot that riffled into the top right hand corner from 18-yards, giving the keeper no chance.Then, just before the break, the Admirals scored from the spot to make it 2-2.In part two, a great double save by Equalizers' Jamie Pow was soon followed by action at the other end, Parkhouse calmly despatching his second from the spot.The Admirals hit back again, but it was left to man-of-the-match Parkhouse to settle things by running clear and notching his 'trick (see pic bottom left).Equalizers will play Shebbear United in the semi-final. Shebbear cruised through with a 1-0 away win at Braunton Thirds, Greg Mitchell beating the keeper to a loose ball 25 yards out.In the other quarter-finals, Combe Martin Reserves hit 10 to send Lynton packing, while Woolsery beat Hartland Reserves on their own turf, 2-1. The winners will square up on March 1.In the NDJ Cup, Northam Lions Thirds reached the semi-final stage with goals by James Atkinson, Lee Barker and Martin "Beenie" Ford in a 3-2 win over Bradworthy Reserves. In the other quarter, Park United beat Ilfracombe Town Thirds 3-0.