Young side clicks with first win of the season

BARNSTAPLE AAC Reserves won their first game of the season with a polished performance against South Molton on Saturday.

The young Ammies side came of age with a 5-2 win against the Images, young left-sided midfielder Callum Josselyn scoring a brace of goals as good as you’ll see in the North Devon Gazette Senior Division this season.

The teenager hit two from outside the box, the first a good goal by any standard, and the second, described by his manager Jez Hill as simply “unstoppable”.

Josselyn was one of seven 16-year-olds playing in a new-look Ammies team that has recruited youth to rebuild a side fielding players with an average age of 34 last season.

“There was only one player on the field on Saturday who played in the side last season,” said Hill.

“We are basically and under-16s side stepping up to senior football for the first time. It’s a big step and it has taken time but we’re starting to play some good football.”

Frenchman Hugo Borrin – living in North Devon on a six-month work placement – also scored two against Molton.

Former Braunton player Curtis Netherway was also of target for the Ammies, while Wayne Colton and Ben Sladden scored for the visitors.

Leaders Bideford Reserves overcame a resilient Shamwickshire Rovers Reserves side with two second-half goals at the Sports Ground on Saturday.

The game had barely started when it was stopped to enable Shammy’s Gareth Avery to receive ambulance attention for a dislocated knee.

The match restarted 10 minutes later but the derby deadlock refused to budge until Ben Ford found the net on 62 minutes after good build-up play by Sam Grimley and Nathan Bate.

The Robins doubled their lead 15 minutes later, Tom Hayne laying the ball off to Sam Stephens, who carried the ball into the penalty area and fired into the left hand corner of the net.

Chittlehampton hit double figures against bottom side Torrington Reserves. Jamie Giffard scored a first half hat-trick – and Ciaron Lishman scored one – as Chittle’ took a 4-0 half-time lead.

And Giffard bagged a second hat-trick after the break as David Peters’ side went in for the kill against a weary looking Torrie.

Lishman completed his hat-trick with two goals and substitute Matt Ransley also scored two to complete the rout.

Pilton Academicals maintained second spot in the table with a 2-1 win against Braunton Reserves at Rock Park.

Claudio Pinto opened the scoring when he nodded in Aaron Yeo’s deep free-kick on 15 minutes.

Braunton equalised through Jonny Shury 10 minutes later and Pinto could have already been on a hat-trick before he scored the Accies’ second before the break.

Third placed Park United came from behind to share the points with fifth-placed Wrey Arms in a drama-filled 3-3 draw at Sandymere.

The Wrey were in domineering form and were well worth their 2-0 half-time lead.

But a Steve Skinner double after the break cancelled out an own goal and Paddy Weathers’ first half strike.

Jimmy Hill restored the lead for the visitors but with about eight minutes of injury time already played, Tom Forrester made it 3-3 from a free-kick.

Wrey Arms were boosted this week by the news that striker Joe Gillard has agreed to return to the club following his spell in the Premier Division with Bratton Fleming.

In the day’s other results, Lynton & Lynmouth beat Woolsery 3-1. Luke Dyer put the first in the bottom corner from 20 yards and Max Smith headed the second from a Martyn Phillips free-kick.

After the break, Phillips ran onto the ball and rounded the goalkeeper for the third.

Northam Lions Reserves beat North Molton Reserves 2-1. Matt Cloak scored the first and substitute Chris Parkhouse added a second after the break. The Stags pulled one back with a stoppage time penalty.