Date set for Tommy Langford’s title bout
- Credit: Archant
Tommy Langford’s middleweight title rematch against Jason Welborn is confirmed for September 8 at Birmingham Arena.
Bideford born Tommy Langford will look to regain his middleweight crown with a rematch against Jason Welborn having lost their first fight in May.
The rematch has been added to the Amir Kahn vs. Samuel Vargas undercard and will also be shown live on Sky Sports.
The first match between the pair was dubbed as the ‘Battle of the Baggies’ due to both fighters being West Bromwich Albion fans.
Langford was a 1/8 favourite pre-fight but Welborn produced a shock victory via a split points decision.
You may also want to watch:
The challenger impressed in the early rounds, including a sharp left hook in the second causing Langford to stagger back into the ropes.
The title holder recovered but Welborn was again on top for the championship rounds meaning Langford lost for only the second time in his career.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 3 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 7 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 8 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 9 Egg-ceptional packaging design from autistic Petroc student Brooke
- 10 Men admit Ilfracombe park stabbing
Langford activated the rematch clause in his contract and the date has now been confirmed for September 8.
The winner of the rematch will then go on to fight the unbeaten challenger Mark Heffron from Oldham.