Date set for Tommy Langford’s title bout
- Credit: Archant
Tommy Langford’s middleweight title rematch against Jason Welborn is confirmed for September 8 at Birmingham Arena.
Bideford born Tommy Langford will look to regain his middleweight crown with a rematch against Jason Welborn having lost their first fight in May.
The rematch has been added to the Amir Kahn vs. Samuel Vargas undercard and will also be shown live on Sky Sports.
The first match between the pair was dubbed as the ‘Battle of the Baggies’ due to both fighters being West Bromwich Albion fans.
Langford was a 1/8 favourite pre-fight but Welborn produced a shock victory via a split points decision.
You may also want to watch:
The challenger impressed in the early rounds, including a sharp left hook in the second causing Langford to stagger back into the ropes.
The title holder recovered but Welborn was again on top for the championship rounds meaning Langford lost for only the second time in his career.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 3 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
- 4 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 5 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
Langford activated the rematch clause in his contract and the date has now been confirmed for September 8.
The winner of the rematch will then go on to fight the unbeaten challenger Mark Heffron from Oldham.