Commonwealth bronze for Kingsley’s Walters at judo championships
- Credit: Kingsley School
Kingsley School Judo Club took a team of four U15s to the five-day Commonwealth Judo Championships in Walsall.
The team of Tristan Walters, Amie McMurray, Jersey Ledger and Caitlyn De'Ath represented England and competed against squads from as far as New Zealand, Australia, India, Malta and South Africa, as well as the home nations.
A memorable trip for the team saw Walters come away with a bronze medal for his efforts in the boys U34kg competition.
After a semi-final defeat to Indian Anurag Sagar, Walters went into the bout against Evan Price from Wales, where a tactical bout saw the Kingsley boy come out on top.
McMurray battled to a ninth place finish overall in the girls U40kg division, and Jersey Ledger had to settle for 12th place in the girls U52kg competition.
You may also want to watch:
The school's final competitor was Caitlyn De'Ath, who finished ninth overall in the girls' U63kg division.
Coach Simon Ward said: "It was a fantastic experience for the team, I'm proud of their efforts and certainly hope now it inspires them all to refocus their Judo and move forward with clear goals for the future."
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes