Ilfracombe veterans take the laurels at Roseland Regatta
- Credit: Archant
A good day for Ilfracombe Pilot Gig Club on Saturday as the town’s rowers stack up against some of the best in the region.
TWO inspired rows by the veterans teams saw Ilfracombe pilot Gig Club chalk up an admirable display at the Roseland Regatta in St Mawes on Saturday.
Ilfracombe was the only club from outside Cornwall to be invited and with the world champions competing, not to mention other top 10 crews, Ilfracombe set themselves for a hard day.
The men’s A went first and after a good start reached the first buoy in third, but after a melee on the turn they emerged a respectable fifth.
The ladies A had a good start and with lessons learned from the men’s race, cox Roy Thorne turned well and powered on by a good stroke rate from Zoe Green they came in third.
You may also want to watch:
But the day belonged to the veterans, with Ilfracombe’s men enjoying an amazing row as they powered the first stretch and gained the lead.
The next turn went the same way and down the final stretch they increased their lead to come a very comfortable first place.
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 3 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 4 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 5 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 6 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 7 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 10 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
The ladies veterans’ also had a great start but were battling for first down the final leg – a last burst from the crew saw them take the lead and win by a boat length.
The B races saw the men put in a good performance to come sixth, with new rower Grantley South getting his first taste of regatta rowing.
The ladies B also had a good race to come in 11th but were racing against men and women. The mixed crew put in a good performance to come in fifth.