Ilfracombe take the spoils at home regatta
- Credit: HowaboutDave Photography
Crews from Ilfracombe, Appledore, Barnstaple and Torridge were in action on Saturday
Ilfracombe Pilot Gig Club hosted its annual regatta at the weekend.
Two host crews were in action along with Appledore, Barnstaple and Torridge.
Fine weather greeted the crews, and there were exciting conditions for spectators as later races battled against the incoming tide.
Ilfracombe’s Raparee crews were in fine form, picking up three wins for the overall crown.
You may also want to watch:
Torridge were third overall in Kerens, thanks to to two firsts, with Appledore in Whitford behind them in fourth after a win in the Ladies’ A race.
Barnstaple’s Nipper crews finished in ninth overall, and Ilfracombe’s Rogue crew came in tenth.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The B crews were up first, with the ladies race going to Torridge, who got the mark of the other racers at the turn to break free.
In the men’s race, Ilfracombe’s young Raparee crew came out on top against the Rogue crew after a tight turn and a show of fitness on the straights.
The ladies’ A race saw Appledore take a win ahead of Raparee, with Torridge making it a North Devon one-two-three.
Junior crews from Ilfracombe and Torridge put in good performances in tough conditions, as did a Barnstaple crew with many rowers in their first races, but they ultimately lost out to Bude and Clevedon.
Torridge’s ladies’ veterans picked up the club’s second win of the regatta in their race.
Ilfracombe, Torridge and Appledore came in second, third and fourth respectively in the men’s veteran race, unable to beat winners Lyme Regis. Barnstaple came in seventh.
Ilfracombe’s Raparee crews ended the day in strong fashion, winning the men’s supervets and the mixed races, followed by Torridge in second in both.
A Barnstaple crew with three graduates from junior racing finished a commendable fifth.
Next up for the rowers is the Appledore Regatta, which takes place on Sunday (26 June) from the Quay at 9am.