Home record stays intact
Champions Fremington had a Chris Bourne penalty to thank for maintaining their unbeaten home record with a 1-0 win over Landkey.
Resting players for their Braunton Cup semi-final match the following day, they had a subdued opening half and despite upping their game after the break could not turn chances into goals until Bourne stepped up to the spot.
Merton are looking for just one more point to secure the other promotion spot, following their 3-1 win away to High Bickington. Nathan Delaune, Brendan Harris and an own goal gave Merton the win that means a draw against rivals Ilfracombe 3rds next week will be enough.
This follows a 1-0 defeat for Ilfracombe away to Hartland on Saturday, Richard Davey netting the decisive goal.
It was a mixed weekend for AFC Anchor, who followed up a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Braunton 3rds with a 5-4 win at home to High Bickington.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Whitecross and Connor Stapley grabbed a goal in each half for Braunton.
Wayne Jeffery was the hero of the hour against High Bickington, the right back going on three length-of-the pitch runs to net a hat-trick. Will Frost netted the other two.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
Woolacombe kept up their pace among the top flight with two wins without conceding a goal. They hit visiting Northam Lions 5-0 with goals by Jamie Duffield (2) – including his third 40-yard lob of the season – Sam Brown, Chay Isaac and Elliott Moore. Then came a trip to Clovelly and a 2-0 win with a brace of goals from Nick Shilletto.
Lions also suffered a 3-2 midweek defeat away to AFC Anchor, their goals both coming from Robbie Crump.
Equalizers hit bottom-of-the-table Woolsery Reserves 6-0, Darren Floyde opening the scoring with a 35-yard strike, Phil Norman netting a hat-trick and others coming from Matthew Mitchell and Matt Jefferies.