BARNSTAPLE are back in business in South West Two thanks to a 47-5 win over a depleted Clevedon side. Clevedon did well to hold Barnstaple to just 13-0 at the break, but couldn't contain them in the second half. By the time Clevedon had prop Ben Stone dis

BARNSTAPLE are back in business in South West Two thanks to a 47-5 win over a depleted Clevedon side.Clevedon did well to hold Barnstaple to just 13-0 at the break, but couldn't contain them in the second half.By the time Clevedon had prop Ben Stone dismissed for throwing a punch, Barnstaple were 32-4 up and it was all over.Neil Giddy kicked a penalty and dropped a goal to put Barum 6-0 up. Mark Galliford ran through for a try that Giddy converted to complete the first-half scoring.Quick hands put Clevedon full-back Joe Kaniecki in for a try and at 13-5 the next score was going to be crucial.It went to Barum through veteran lock Martin Greenaway and after that the home side pulled away.Paul Scheres scored the first of two second-half tries then Dan Frost followed up behind a scrum to claim a push-over.After Stone was shown the way off, Scheres, Matt Slee and Dan Ewing all added tries.Barnstaple are away to relegation worriers Hornets this Saturday.l BIDEFORD skipper Dave Heywood was philosophical following his side's 27-12 defeat by Cornwall & Devon leaders Newquay Hornets.Pack power paved the way for the Hornets, who remain a point clear of Cullompton and two ahead of Tavistock in third place."Our backs were outstanding and Sam Old scored the try of the match on the wing for us, said Heywood."Newquay dominated in the pack - three of their tries were push-overs - and played the 10-man game well."Old scored when the ball went through the numbers from nine through 10 out to the wing for a run over.Flanker James Giddy slipped the Newquay defensive cover near the away side's 22 and dashed through for Ollie Wickett to convert.But Newquay had the huff and puff in the forwards and scored three of their four tries in push-over situations.A back-row move led to Lee Woodhatch scoring then James Earp crossed from a line-out drive over.Scrum-half Ryan Johns cashed in when his pack drove Bideford back over their own line. Ross Robins had the final word when he scored from a maul.Bideford will hope to bounce back this Saturday when they face Honiton.l TORRINGTON put their narrow defeat by Old Public Oaks behind them with a 16-10 win over Totnes in Devon One.Totnes, 11-3 down at half time, refused to roll over after the break and took the game to Torrie in the forwards.Had a close call for a forward pass by exchange referee Lance Hueslman from the United States not gone against them, Totnes could have scored a second try that might have altered the outcome.Richard Huxtable scored in the corner for Torrie and Andy Manning plonked over two penalties for an 11-3 interval lead.Mark Hooper kicked a penalty for the away side then converted a try by Alexis Keen to make it interesting.The game was won and lost by a try through the centre from Torrie's Rob Saltmarsh.Torrington are away to Topsham this Saturday.Torrington 2nd XV had an afternoon to forget as they were hammered 69-0 at Tavistock.l SOUTH Molton were disappointed to lose 22-19 at Old Plymothians after they led 19-5 at half time.Neil Ayre scored the try that put South Molton ahead. OPM equalised when Neil Bellamy ran through.For the rest of the first half it was all South Molton with Courtenay Lucas and Rob Plume both scoring tries. Adam Crispin obliged with two conversions from three attempts.OPM's comeback started with Jay Lawrence running down a Sammy Matts chip ahead.Back-row man Sam Taylor then made the running for Lawrence to score again. Both tries were converted by Todd Croft to level the scores. A Croft penalty capped an unlikely win for OPM.South Molton entertain Devonport High School Old Boys this Saturday.