Combe take honours at Clovelly
ILFRACOMBE contiuned their successful season by winning the day at Clovelly Gig Regatta on Saturday, taking the overall points trophy in a close competition with Swanage.
Crews lined up from Swanage, Salcombe, Port Isaac, Bristol, Bude, Ilfracombe, Appledore, Barnstaple, Torridge, Bideford and Clovelly.
Ilfracombe opened their account in the first race of the day when their Ladies Veterans had an amazing start and increased their lead to the first bouy. They continued to increase the lead to the final buoy for a comfortable win by four boat lengths.
They followed up in the Men’s Veterans with victory by two boat lengths, fourth place in the Ladies B and third in the Men’s B.
Then came a highly competitive Men’s A race, with Ilfracombe making a flying start and charging to the first buoy, with Appledore hot on their tail. After a good turn the Ilfracombe crew took a commanding lead and extending it for a comfortable win, with Appledore taking second place, also well ahead of their nearest rivals.
You may also want to watch:
But Swanage held an overall points lead until the final Mixed race, when Ilfracombe pulled out the stops for a four lengths win, with Appledore second and Swanage third. This brought Ilfracombe and Swanage level on points overall, with the trophy going to Ilfracombe by virtue of the most wins.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!