Aiken hat-trick gets Braunton off to flying start in Devon Football League
- Credit: Matt Smart
Braunton got their Devon Football League season off to a flying start on Saturday.
A Ben Aiken hat-trick helped the Seasiders to a 4-1 win over St Martins at Lobb Field in the North and East Division.
It was the visitors who got off the mark first, with Aaron Land beating stand-in goalkeeper Joe Seldon for the opening goal, but Braunton responded to lead at half-time thanks to goals from Josh Phillips and Aiken.
Aiken’s second came shortly after the restart when he latched on to a diagonal ball from Luke Austen and rifled into the roof of the net, before completing his hat-trick and an emphatic win.
Witheridge’s first game of the campaign saw them lose 4-2 at home to Exmouth Town Reserves.
You may also want to watch:
George Mackerness and Dominic Perrott were on target for Witheridge, who host Heavitree United on Wednesday evening.
The two North Devon sides meet on Saturday (September 12), with Witheridge hosting Braunton.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman